Which is a better investment, mudjacking or polyjacking?

My house has some sidewalk and concrete patio areas that are sunken, resulting in water draining towards the foundation. We're looking at having either mudjacking or polyjacking done to help this, but I'm not sure which option is best. What are your thoughts?

I've read about both online, but it's tough to find an unbiased viewpoint, so if you've had one or either done to your house in the past, or are a jacker yourself, I'd appreciate your opinion!
posted by Fister Roboto to Home & Garden (5 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Never heard of either tbh, and here comes a non-answer that will likely be deleted.

But, having read about both, and agree that everything I've looked at is very biased towards what they are selling. But, seems like the mudjacking thing is the affordable option. Polyjacking might be the longer-lasting option, (with lots of eco/geo friendly talk in their side of the story).

Isn't the sidewalk your city's concern? Maybe not where you may be. But with a patio, as opposed to a driveway, I'd go for the mud. Car weight would totally have more effect on the underlying material than folks having a BBQ on the patio. Cement slurry has to be cheaper than whatever geofoam they are using. I would assume both would be much cheaper than tearing it all up and doing it right. Which is what we did 18 years ago, and now in the periods of heavy rain, we have some drainage issues, (Seattle). Or trying to powerwash the moss...So appreciate knowing of this thing I did not know was a thing.
posted by Windopaene at 7:13 PM on February 8 [1 favorite]

I don't know, but I've looked into this a bit for my cracked driveway and I have some further questions that may help you or others decide. How old is the house? What is the substrate? I.e. do you know what the soil is like at a foot deep in that area, is it gravely or clay, sandy etc? Is there any significant grade anywhere nearby? Do you know or can you infer anything about subsurface flow in that area? Are there any drains or pipes etc in the area to be jacked? I'm also curious to hear more informed comments, but these are things I'm considering and researching about for my situation.
posted by SaltySalticid at 6:54 AM on February 9

My city tried some polyjacking of a pergola at the park for a trip hazard - I don't think it worked well and they later removed and repoured the concrete (like 6 months later).
posted by The_Vegetables at 7:19 AM on February 9

Perhaps a consultation with a licensed structural engineer would be helpful? They may have remedies you haven't considered.
posted by citygirl at 7:50 AM on February 9

Polyjacking uses polyurethane foam and I would not agree to that near my home. Off-gassing may stink, and it's an unsustainable unrecycleable, uncompostable product.
posted by theora55 at 8:28 AM on February 9

« Older Done With Sammiches   |   Rewriting treaties, especially treaties between... Newer »