Wireless printing options?

Wireless printing options?

We have a wireless network that serves two computers - a laptop and a desktop. We have a printer, currently connected to neither of these printers. When we need to print (which isn't often), I just carry the laptop over and plug it in. I'd like to be able to print from these computers wirelessly. If I get a "wireless print server" will it just attach to the printer and do what I want it to? I keep reading descriptions of how they work, and I think that's what I want.... but I'm not sure?
posted by dpx.mfx to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

I have this one: ..

It works just how you said. You hook up the printer and then configure each computer seperately with the installation disc.

FYI: if you have a printer/scanner/Copier combo type device, you will only be able to control the "printer" part of the device via the wireless adapter. I.E. you can't scan wirelessly.
posted by pencroft at 1:39 PM on May 7, 2006

whoops. that didn't work..
posted by pencroft at 1:41 PM on May 7, 2006

I have this one: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGPS606.php

It works just like you said. You hook up the printer to the device and then configure each computer seperately with the installation disc.

FYI: if you have a printer/scanner/copier combo, you will only be able to print via the wireless device. I.E. you can't scan wirelessly.
posted by pencroft at 1:43 PM on May 7, 2006

Also have the WGPS606. Fairly easy to set up. See also this thread from a week or so ago.
posted by Orange Goblin at 2:04 PM on May 7, 2006

You can get a wireless print server, as above, or a simpler and cheaper wired print server - a box that connects to your wireless router with an ethernet cable, and to your printer with a parallel or USB cable. This is fine if your printer is going to sit near to your wireless router. When you print, your print data travels wirelessly to the router, then wired to the printer.

In either case, the printer becomes a network printer, set up through its IP address (which happens to be a very non-intuitive setup on Windows XP, easy on other operating systems, but once it's set up it won't give you any problems).

I don't know how pencroft is set up, but I have a multi-function device (print/fax/scan) and I can control it over the network.
posted by jellicle at 2:22 PM on May 7, 2006

« Older Need help with Seattle roofing codes/permits/etc.   |   stop eating my food people! Newer »