Win XP - Some apps won't open files in root directory

In certain applications I am unable to locate or open files via the menu tree within the application because my root (c) directory isn't displayed. In these applications, I can only open files which reside in either 'My Documents' (or any folders within it), or 'Desktop' I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2. TIA, Tim
posted by haelen to Computers & Internet (9 answers total)

What applications? And, what's your question?
posted by nicwolff at 8:02 AM on May 4, 2006

Response by poster: Too many to mention (the majority). The question is, how do I fix this?!
posted by haelen at 8:21 AM on May 4, 2006

Have you tried opening the desktop from there? When I do that, can I drill down to My Computer, then my C drive. (This is on XP Home.)
posted by expialidocious at 8:40 AM on May 4, 2006

Reinstall.
posted by unixrat at 8:45 AM on May 4, 2006

Not to imply that you are overlooking something obvious, but just in case...

When you use the open file dialog box, most windows applications default to the My Documents folder. But if you click on the little drop down box caret type symbol to the right of where it says "My documents" don't you see the entire directory tree structure? If not, what do you see?
posted by jasper411 at 9:37 AM on May 4, 2006

Right click on the Start icon at the lower left.

Left click on Explore.

Expand the My Computer line (if it's not expanded already).

Expand the C: line.
posted by KRS at 10:41 AM on May 4, 2006

Best answer: type in C: in the file name field. Hit enter, this should bring you to the c drive.
posted by xospecialk at 11:07 AM on May 4, 2006

you can also install tweakui and add c: explicitly under common dialogs->places bar
posted by juv3nal at 11:19 AM on May 4, 2006

Response by poster: "type in C: in the file name field"

This worked perfectly. Thank you.
posted by haelen at 12:54 PM on May 4, 2006

« Older How do I stop Windows filesharing passwords from...   |   How does Economy 7 switch? Newer »