Short Story ID: Fey, Space, Navigator

I am looking for a short story that I thought I found linked here on Metafilter, perhaps years ago. The plot is: a space ship and the crew is stuck in a time loop at a dead-end system. One of the members of the crew is, seemingly, a merely "average" navigator, and they are blamed for this situation. By treating with a powerful fairy prince, they learn to stop relying on an object called a "navigator's coin" and break the deadlock and time-loop, navigating away from the dead-end station. Can anyone help me find it?

There is a theme where the navigator is a "part-owner" of the ship but was marginalized because of not being particularly good at their job.
posted by kitten_hat to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I really think this was one of brainwane's 2021 short story posts, perhaps, if that helps you narrow it down? Unfortunately I think I may have read it on a different computer, since it's not any of the ones showing up as links I clicked on, but it sounds very familiar...
posted by ASF Tod und Schwerkraft at 7:53 PM on March 5, 2023

Response by poster: Thank you so much! Really thought I'd lost this one...

I very much appreciate the pointer to brainwane, too --- scrubbing through those 2021 short story posts has given me quite the stack of reading material.
posted by kitten_hat at 6:47 AM on March 6, 2023 [1 favorite]

Definitely the one I was thinking of too - and no wonder I couldn't find it since I had the wrong poster! (But reading a bunch of short stories while trying and failing to track that one down was a great way to lose track of time!)
posted by ASF Tod und Schwerkraft at 6:09 PM on March 6, 2023

« Older Do my perfect bedsheets still exist?   |   Adjusting to parenthood--hope me! Newer »