How To Triglycerides
January 28, 2023 7:10 PM   Subscribe

My triglycerides are high. They have been high in the past, but came down to well within normal when I got on thyroid medication that brought my TSH down to around 1. Well, my TSH is back up and my triglycerides are back up. My doctor doesn’t feel comfortable adjusting my thyroid medication and wants me to see an endocrinologist. She is concerned about my triglycerides and wants me to take a drug with known side effects of muscle wasting and shouldn’t be taken if you have had gallstones. Well…

I have a genetic condition that makes it almost impossible to gain muscle and I have had my gallbladder out in an emergency surgery due to gallstones.

I am one million percent unwilling to take the drug she wants me to take, and I’m pretty darn sure that getting my TSH back down to 1 will resolve the issue. Getting an endocrinologist is very difficult here and I’m on several waiting lists. While I wait, is it reasonable/possible for me to get a second opinion from another general practitioner for this? When this came up 20 years ago, I was prescribed the thyroid medication by a GP. Has something changed that this is now an issue only an endo can deal with? My full thyroid panel came back fine except for the TSH that has crept up. (Of note, I do have other symptoms of being hypothyroid again. In fact, I talked to my doctor about increasing my thyroid meds over a year ago when I started having symptoms and had her run my numbers.)
posted by Bottlecap to Health & Fitness (5 answers total)
How high are your triglycerides? Borderline concerning or is your doctor very worried? (I ask because my partner developed pancreatitis and the two hypotheses were a) a reaction to an antibiotic or b) really high triglycerides. Not sure how you’re not having a gallbladder might play into things but I would want to avoid any risk of pancreatitis.) Secondly - is your TSH high but in the “normal” range per the lab? I think only some GPs are comfortable tweaking if it’s technically “normal” (I know that that can still be the wrong target for most people).

If you can share your rough location (just so people can share ideas about accessing care). Here in Canada you would probably want to either get a new GP (which can take months to years) or, call the endocrinologist’s office daily in search of a cancellation.
posted by cotton dress sock at 7:33 PM on January 28 [1 favorite]

It seems totally reasonable to seek out a different GP, either for a second opinion or just to find one whose approach is a better fit for you.
posted by needs more cowbell at 3:00 AM on January 29

Your TSH is low normal;reducing your thyroid meds slightly is possible. Have you done all the things to lower triglycerides? How old are you? Rather than a GP, an internist might be a better 2nd opinion. It's fine to get a 2nd opinion, esp. when it will take ages to see the specialist.
posted by theora55 at 5:38 AM on January 29 [1 favorite]

Get a less incompetent doctor. Seeing the endocrinologist may actually be a good idea.
posted by heatherlogan at 5:42 AM on January 29 [1 favorite]

Yeah, I came to say as well that the endocrinologist probably overall will be more useful than your doctor.
posted by Lyn Never at 9:35 AM on January 29

« Older Webcomic about narrative-formation with respect to...   |   Sydney for beginners Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments