Looking for a famous painting

FamousPaintingFilter: Anybody know a famous (?) painting depicting a woman with a young girl lying in her lap, breastfeeding her and .. uh... what seems to be "touching" her .. uh... "down there"?

not so sure on the "touching", but pretty sure on the breastfeeding part. With regards to the painting, my memory sez something about "middle ages" and "germany", tho my memory has been known to suck royally.

Anybody know the painting I'm looking for?
posted by slater to Media & Arts (12 answers total)

Is it this or something similar by Hogarth.
posted by selton at 11:24 AM on April 23, 2006

Are you maybe thinking of something by Balthus, like The Guitar Lesson?
posted by vacapinta at 11:29 AM on April 23, 2006

guitar lesson is the one! haha... yeah.. not so sure on the breastfeeding part... thanks vacapinta!
posted by slater at 11:43 AM on April 23, 2006

......uncomfortable silence.......
posted by Baby_Balrog at 2:34 PM on April 23, 2006

Is it possible to change the tags? Of the current four, only "painting" is actually true of the answer.
posted by i_am_joe's_spleen at 3:00 PM on April 23, 2006

WTF? Please, someone, do explain this one.
posted by five fresh fish at 3:04 PM on April 23, 2006

Whats to explain? Balthus was an important and well-known painter. Certainly his subject matter (young girls in erotic poses) made (and continue to make) people uncomfortable.

There was a great New Yorker profile a while back on him and his secluded life before he died. Also, the New Yorker gave the above painting a full page to itself - its his most famous work. There are a million places that slater or, really anybody half-educated in Art would have seen this work and remembered it. Any other questions?
posted by vacapinta at 3:14 PM on April 23, 2006

Heh. The Wikipedia biography even mentions that Bono sang at Balthus' funeral...
posted by vacapinta at 3:17 PM on April 23, 2006

I remember being absolutely amazed--upon hearing that Balthus had died--that Balthus was (recently, at least) still alive. The last Modern painter....
posted by mr_roboto at 3:28 PM on April 23, 2006

never seen it before, but touching and breastfeeding issues aside, it's an interesting modern take on the pieta.
posted by ab3 at 3:58 PM on April 23, 2006

i_am_joe: done.
posted by slater at 8:41 PM on April 23, 2006

I imagine the confusion is that question said it was from the German middle ages and it's not. Subject matter that's WTF for 1580 is nothing unusual for the 20th centruy.
posted by smackfu at 9:31 AM on April 24, 2006

« Older I'm pretty sure the technical title is "Little...   |   Automatic backup of my flash drive? Newer »