Snarfblatt? Dinglehopper? What do I call this object?
November 24, 2022 7:56 AM   Subscribe

I need to replace either the whole vise/clamp on my yarn ball winder, or better yet, find a longer metal… thingy to sub in the current one. What search term am I looking for?

The ball winder is this one from Knit Picks. The item in question is the curved metal stick thing in the clamping device. My current metal stick thing isn’t long enough (thing I switched out/lost the proper clamp at some point), so the metal hole thing thumps against the table when I wind. Anyone know where I can either find a whole replacement clamp, or know the name for the metal stick thing?
posted by HonoriaGlossop to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (4 answers total)
Is it like these?
posted by falsedmitri at 9:04 AM on November 24, 2022

Best answer: Perhaps here for new clamps and post lengths?
posted by tipsyBumblebee at 9:41 AM on November 24, 2022 [1 favorite]

OMG, I just broke my knitpicks ballwinder by....using it as I should. The plastic gear teeth broke and spit themselves out into tiny detritus on my desk.
Anyway, not your problem, but this one from Amazon feels so much sturdier and I'm currently loving it, although I admit it's new. The clamp on to something is wide enough to fit my desk which is thick.
I need to make an askme about why I can't put a hank on a swift correctly to save my freaking life, but that's a separate issue.
posted by atomicstone at 9:42 AM on November 24, 2022

atomicstone, try an Amish style/tabletop swift if you haven't -- the umbrella types always vex me but once I went tabletop I never had a problem again.
posted by twelve cent archie at 5:16 AM on November 25, 2022

« Older Videos where people sing and the score is visible   |   Toilet tank not filling up Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments