Ancient Greek translation request | ἑλλογοοδβυε
November 24, 2022 3:14 AM   Subscribe

What are the best ways to say "Goodbye X, Hello Y" in Ancient Greek?

Context: I want a snappy phrase to ring in the new year, saying Goodbye 2022, Hello/Welcome 2023!

I was going to use χαῖρε for hello but it seems that it can mean both hello and goodbye, and could be ambiguous in this phrase...?

The exact era or dialect of Greek is not so important, just that if a modern Greek speaker heard it, it would be noticeably ancient-sounding and not modern.

Bonus points for short and easy to pronounce. Greek letters and transliteration would be most helpful.
posted by Glier's Goetta to Writing & Language (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: χαῖρε is absolutely fine for 'hello' and will not be ambiguous in this phrase.

Saying exactly what you've asked for:

ἔρρωσο, ὦ ἔτος ͵ΒΚΒʹ (δισχιλιοστὸν εἰκοστὸν δεύτερον)· χαῖρε, ὦ ἔτος ͵ΒΚΓʹ (δισχιλιοστὸν εἰκοστὸν τρίτον).

érrōso, ō étos 2022 (dischiliostón eikostón deúteron); chaíre, ō étos 2023 (dischiliostón eikostón tríton).

The thing is, those numbers are neither short nor easy to pronounce.

You could say something like:

ἔρρωσο, ὦ τὸ πρὶν ἔτος · χαῖρε, ὦ καινὸν ἔτος.
érrōso, ō to prin étos; chaíre, ō kainón étos.
'Goodbye, former year; hello, new year'.

It's shorter, anyway.
posted by lysimache at 7:57 AM on November 24 [5 favorites]

Best answer: Agree that χαῖρε will read unambiguously as "hello" here!

If you'd like to emphasize "welcome" rather than "hello", you could use ἀσπάζομαι (aspazomai), "I welcome/embrace/greet".
posted by earth by april at 8:46 AM on November 24 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Google Translate is adequate pronouncing these except ω is aspirated like the farming tool "hoe", as are the other initial vowels: HAIR-row-so, HEH-toss. Sorry, I don't know if our year numbers would be put this way. I don't know if they wouldn't!

You emphasized "say" and "pronounce". In case you write such fine greetings: most written Greek before the third century CE was all caps "majiscules" and lacked spaces between words, punctuation, accent marks, and breathing marks, something like: ΕΡΡΩΣΟΩΤOΠΡΙVΕΤΟςΧΑΙΡΕΩΚΑΙVOVΕΤΟς Go further back and written letters change form and some like Ω drop out altogether.
posted by gregoreo at 4:49 PM on November 24

« Older Images to thumbnail gallery for physical...   |   What do moths love to eat most? Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments