F5 is all the way over there

Here’s an easy one: how do I force Chrome to always load the latest version of a website?

Right now Chrome loads the cached version and I’d like to make it so it loads the latest version. I know I can force a refresh but I’d like to not do that all the time. My GoogleFu is failing me.
posted by Diskeater to Technology (5 answers total)

On Windows: Hold down Ctrl and click the Reload button.
Or Hold down Ctrl and press F5.

On a Mac: Hold Shift and click the Reload button.
Or, hold down Cmd and Shift and then press R.
posted by Lanark at 7:29 AM on November 23 [1 favorite]

You can just disable your browser cache altogether if you want to always load every page anew. I can’t imagine this would make for a very good browsing experience though
posted by aubilenon at 7:32 AM on November 23 [5 favorites]

Open the page in private mode. There will be no cached content on your machine.
posted by zippy at 9:14 AM on November 23

Other than the suggested incognito mode, I don't believe Chrome allows disabling caching for a specific site. There's several cache modifying extensions that do so however, assuming you trust 3rd party code in the browser.
posted by Candleman at 11:19 AM on November 23

In general browsers should be using things like etags headers to work out that their cache is current when they reload the page (that is: a small request to confirm its cached copy is the latest version, which is faster than a large request to refetch the whole thing), so your experience suggests that the webserver is not playing ball quite as it should. But Ctrl-F5 etc. solves for that.
posted by How much is that froggie in the window at 1:13 PM on November 23

« Older The invisible band - Minneapolis, my lost youth...   |   What else to do with split peas? (vegan) Newer »