Help me set my set

I have an upcoming psilocybin therapy session. What should I read and listen to in advance to optimize the experience?

I have experience with psychedelics from my youth, but it's been several decades since the last time. I'm struggling with depression and some difficult life situations that I have not been able to unstick. I'm hoping the session will help move things along and help me heal from trauma.

I just finished listening to the audiobook of How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan. I'm looking for additional recent writing on psychedelics. I can read articles in print. For book-length material I'd be looking for audiobooks.

I'm also interested in good texts on Buddhism.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (3 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

Buddhism: Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
posted by Gymnopedist at 9:49 AM on November 16, 2022

The Cover Story podcast from New York magazine does an amazing job of highlighting some of the problems with psychedelic therapy without being against psychedelics. It goes into the experiences of people who tried psychedelic therapy for the same reasons as yours, only to be taken advantage of by their therapists. I understand that this may not be what you’re looking for, but they don’t say “don’t do this”, it’s more like “here are some caveats for something that has helped many people.” Ultimately they suggest that you have someone you know and trust with you, who does not take the psychedelic, to support you through the experience.
posted by stinker at 12:14 AM on November 17, 2022 [2 favorites]

« Older Time Critical   |   Apologizing to a colleague Newer »