What is this brass ornament thing?
April 22, 2006 3:53 PM   Subscribe

What is this brass ornament thing?

Pictures: front and back.

I found this a while ago, and I've been wearing it as a necklace (I added the string, it was not there when I found it). It's approximately 2.5 inches wide and 3 inches tall. I get a lot of questions about it, and am curious myself. I know it's not a bottle opener (um, at least not while wearing it...). Someone told me that her mom collected "Irish brass things" that looked just like it, but my google-fu fails me and I haven't found any information on that front. On the back of the top loop it's stamped "England" and there are no other markings. It looks like brass. I literally found it, like on the ground, so there was obviously no salesperson to ask.

Anybody happen to know what it might be?
posted by ruby.aftermath to Grab Bag (5 answers total)
It looks like something to do with horses.
posted by Pigpen at 3:59 PM on April 22, 2006

Best answer: It looks like a horse brass. They're decorative attachments for a workhorse's bridle.
posted by veedubya at 4:01 PM on April 22, 2006

Best answer: Picture of horse brasses.
posted by Pigpen at 4:02 PM on April 22, 2006

Response by poster: Wow, here it is. Thanks.

"Decorative attatchments for a workhorse's bridle" seems all too appropriate for me to be wearing today. I'm not sure how I feel about that :)
posted by ruby.aftermath at 4:07 PM on April 22, 2006

I have one of those with a Cornish Pixie on it. I've had forever. Thanks MeFi for letting me know what the hell it is!
posted by WinnipegDragon at 9:58 PM on April 22, 2006

« Older What percent of your income do you spend on your...   |   Whose baby pictures are they? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.