Is it normal for home buyers to contact the sellers after closing?

Is it a normal thing for home buyers (who are not new to the area) to directly contact the seller (after obtaining seller’s cell # from their new neighbors) after the closing with questions about recommendations for repair people, questions about which appliances do & don’t work (when that info was clearly spelled out in the contract), & requesting other information? Especially when the buyers & sellers have never met, all details were handled by respective realtors, & the seller didn’t specifically invite questions? Is this strange, or is this actually expected, acceptable behavior from home buyers?
posted by bookmammal to Society & Culture (54 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

It seems entirely within the range of normal to me.
posted by sagc at 3:46 PM on September 27 [9 favorites]

Maybe it's regional? Personally, I would be really surprised and displeased to be contacted this way unless I, the seller, had specifically given the new owners my number and encouraged them to reach out with questions.
posted by nkknkk at 3:48 PM on September 27 [39 favorites]

Out of everyone I've ever met who has bought/sold real estate, I have only known one couple who experienced this (on the seller side, in Minnesota), and they found it quite befuddling (enough so that they related it as a "OMG, can you believe this guy?" type of story, which is how I heard of it at all).

I would regard it as quite unusual; I've done six personal real estate deals and have never contacted nor been contacted by my counterparty. It could, as noted above, be regional? Your agent (ex-agent?) may have an opinion on this type of thing.
posted by aramaic at 3:50 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

It is pretty inappropriate unless your broker told the buyers that "My client would be happy to share with you info about the neighborhood, etc.". Especially the stuff about appliances and repairs - they had their shot to ask those questions when they were buying the house. They should only be asking their broker follow-up questions.
posted by dngrangl at 3:52 PM on September 27 [7 favorites]

Not normal in Oregon. There was not allowed to be any contact before or after the sale of any of the properties I've bought or sold.
posted by hydra77 at 3:52 PM on September 27

I'd say it doesn't seem like it would be common, but it's not anything I would worry about. I would answer the questions if I knew offhand and say "sorry, I'm not sure about that" if not. Or if I didn't want to hear from them at all, i would just completely ignore the messages (because I'm conflict avoidant, not because I think that's the best response).
posted by Eyelash at 3:53 PM on September 27 [1 favorite]

Looking through your history, it sounds like this may have been your parents' house that you sold. I'd just deflect the questions and say that everything you have is in the contract documents. When someone like this gets your number without your permission and has an expectation of information, I can't image that it will ever stop. Make it clear now that you're not going to give them what they're seeking.
posted by hydra77 at 3:56 PM on September 27 [18 favorites]

I don't think it's that strange. If they had questions that the previous owners would know that were low stakes, it seems natural to think, "I should just see if they know or can share this info."

We lived next door to the family that sold us our house and asked them questions for years about things like "what is the trick for the pilot light on the 100 year old heater? or Who do you like for roof patching?" They obliged. Nothing was antagonistic or judgmental on our part. We just figured they been though these struggles and could help.

I've prepared copious notes for future owners of our house, but I don't think I'd be offended if they reached out (perhaps through our agent) for answers to benign questions about how often something is serviced, who installed it or why it's backwards (it's not backwards, I'm left handed and I wanted it that way).
posted by typetive at 4:02 PM on September 27 [9 favorites]

Wierd and I would not be happy about it.
posted by Saucywench at 4:05 PM on September 27 [12 favorites]

I think it's not terribly normal, and I would be inclined not to answer, lest you accidentally contradict something that was written in the contract and cause problems for yourself. If there was supposed to be contact between buyers and sellers like this, you would get their contact information from the realtor automatically.
posted by jacquilynne at 4:11 PM on September 27 [6 favorites]

Doesn't sound normal to me. Any communication ought to go through the realtors or lawyers unless the sellers have specifically given out their contact details for the buyers.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 4:11 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

I think it's unusual, but better than normal.
posted by amtho at 4:12 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

Huh, this doesn't strike me as particularly abnormal and I'm surprised by how many people seem to think it is.
posted by aspersioncast at 4:15 PM on September 27 [26 favorites]

Never heard of it but it sounds like the contact was sociable and not accusatory. It’s all right to refer to the closing docs for the info they need and not answer the info they don’t, if you don’t want to become pen pals.

(I had former owners of our home contact us once sharing happy memories; I asked them about a few odd features they were likely to know about, and wrote again when we found an old Swiss Army knife that would most likely have belonged to them. They were in our house for 40 years and we would like to be, so to me it felt very sweet.)
posted by tchemgrrl at 4:20 PM on September 27 [9 favorites]

Seems normal to me, as long as the neighbors who gave the number, cleared it with the previous owners, hopefully their friends.

Flippers don't want to be bothered, they flushed, they're done with it. Others if their beloved place was complicated might be OK with oh yeah, kind of stuff, like yes, shut that attic window before it starts to freeze outside, etc.

Realtors and those in the business of making money, want to control the narrative, they are middle people. That's how they make money.
posted by Oyéah at 4:20 PM on September 27 [1 favorite]

It’s absolutely normal and reasonable in the world we would aspire to live in, and I’ve gladly asked and answered, but this world is far too risky and you could open yourself up to liability, harassment or worse.
posted by The Last Sockpuppet at 4:20 PM on September 27 [5 favorites]

Yeah, that's how I got a handyman for my place - it was awesome because the handyman already knew all the weird quirks about the place.
posted by Toddles at 4:24 PM on September 27 [3 favorites]

Is this strange, or is this actually expected, acceptable behavior from home buyers?

Neither of these.

It's something that extra nice people would hope for from nice people (who sold willingly and without heartbreak).

It also reflects, probably, a bias against wastefulness. The little bits of help you can get from someone with experience can help save fuel, broken items, installing fixes that aren't necessary, wasted trips in the car, and wasted time.

A willingness to take a tiny risk and try to connect with another human with whom you have so much in common (the same house!) is also one of the tiny fibers that binds us together as fellow humans. There are not enough of these. Kudos to trying to foster one more.

That said, they might have ulterior motives which would negate these positives, but I doubt it.
posted by amtho at 4:26 PM on September 27 [57 favorites]

The weird part, to me, is your old neighbors giving out your phone number to randos you’ve never met. I can understand the urge to ask questions of someone in the best position to know the answers, but it never should have gotten to that point.
posted by kevinbelt at 4:30 PM on September 27 [20 favorites]

When my wife and I bought our house we would sometimes have things that came up about the house that the previous owner would be able to help us with. For example the house came with an older electric gate and when we lost power once, we didn't know how to manually crank it open. Luckily we asked the previous owner and he was happy to give us detailed instructions. But beyond something specific that only a previous owner would have special info on...then no it's not normal for the new owners to ask you for standard info on the things you've mentioned. Is it terrible, not really. And you can certainly give them info if you feel you can be helpful. But by no means are you obligated and I wouldn't feel bad about telling the new owners that you would prefer they find contractors, etc. on their own or through other neighbors in the area.
posted by ljs30 at 4:32 PM on September 27 [1 favorite]

The way I did this was through my agent. I asked questions about their repair people etc. but I asked agent to agent. Prob the “right way” but not sure why ppl think this is weird. I live in a very big city.

I did get their email (through the forwarded emails) and have been in contact with them as they still got packages, mails etc sent to us.
posted by sandmanwv at 4:32 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

It has changed so much. In the past, lots of creepy flags. But the first house we sold, we got in person pitches from the buyers, and their agents. So we did know who they were. Second house, not so much. But they did still have my contact information when 13 years later a medical bill for my daughter showed up in their mailbox.

But these days, a good handyman is very hard to find. We used to have a guy, could do anything. Plumbing, electrical, replace a deck or a big fence. WE MISS YOU DANIEL!

So when someone buys my house now, I wouldn't hesitate to give them my opinion on everything. I am old though, so get off my lawn.
posted by Windopaene at 4:33 PM on September 27 [3 favorites]

The people we bought our current place from left us their email for tech questions (their lights and door bell system was a bit idiosyncratic). We also rented a place from an overseas landlord, so the previous renters helped us with a some of the idiosyncrasies of the condo, and we repaid the favor.

So it wouldn't necessarily ping me as weird to want to ask. It is weird to me that they got your contact information from an unofficial channel. I'd be uncomfortable contacting someone after getting their cell from an old neighbor. So, weird to me, but for different reasons.
posted by ghost phoneme at 4:36 PM on September 27 [3 favorites]

Any communication ought to go through the realtors or lawyers unless the sellers have specifically given out their contact details for the buyers.

Yeah I am sort of in the middle. The way to do this is to work with the realtors if there are concerns and then there's no issue of "Oh man, I don't want to hear from this person" weirdness. That said, I never answer the phone and I find all phone calls intrusive, ymmv.

I am in a situation, in New England, where I have just bought a house and I am grateful I know the person I bought the place from so I can ask her the occasional oddball question. However, I could see a slightly different situation where I'd be like "HEY I AM KIND OF PISSED YOU DIDN'T MENTION THIS ISSUE" or even "I can't make the X do Y. Can you help?" and then you're sort of entangled with a person you do not want a relationship with. Like, it's strange (in the US at least) that you make the biggest purchase of your life and you're really re-creating a lot of house stuff--finding contractors, learning the ins and outs of weird house quirks--from scratch when there's a person right there who can help. But that's how it works.

I am also selling a house, also in New England and it's a weird old farmhouse and I will go out of my way to make sure the new buyers can get ahold of me (with also a very clear boundary that the house is as-is but if they need to know the trick to make the boiler do the thing, I can probably help, over email only) but I am not average in this respect.

I know when I sold my house a long time ago I made sure the new buyers had a booklet full of contractors and house quirks and stuff because I felt that would be helpful. When I bought the house I own now, I barely got a set of keys and the seller was still moving crap out like six hours before I took ownership.

To me the weird part is getting a cell number from a neighbor and then calling. But again I am a phone call disliker but it does feel weird.
posted by jessamyn at 4:45 PM on September 27 [5 favorites]

God, I wish. They accidentally had a ton of expensive custom Shutterfly products shipped to (our now) house. I spent way too long dealing with Shutterfly and the realtors to no avail. Kept way too many orange boxes in my house for way too long. Finally just chucked them, sorry (not sorry, at this point).
posted by atomicstone at 4:48 PM on September 27

Interesting to see the range of opinions here. FWIW, when we bought our first condo we did not have any contact with the seller, mostly through her choice. When we sold that condo, the realtors did put us in touch with the buyer and we were happy to answer his questions. And when we bought our current house, again the realtor put us in touch. The seller was even there when we made one of our post purchase visits and told us lots of useful information. This was all in the Boston area.
posted by peacheater at 4:50 PM on September 27

Not weird, and we were happy to be helpful by answering an occasional quick question. We had a few cordial exchanges and it was no big deal, certainly nothing to feel hostile about. They were also nice enough to text us when a FedEx package unexpectedly arrived for us a year or so after we moved, and later when they found a couple of old long forgotten yearbooks in a corner of the attic. So it worked both ways for us.
posted by MelissaSimon at 4:58 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Thanks for everyone’s input! To clarify a few things—
1. Yes—this is my parents’ house that I just sold a month ago. The buyers know that I never lived in the house.
2. I *definitely* don’t like that the neighbors gave out my cell # without my permission. Neighbors had my cell in case of any property emergencies—not because I’m friends with them.
3. I did leave a folder full of appliance manuals, directions on how to change the garage door code, etc.
4. The buyers are from a nearby suburb—it’s not like they’re completely new to the area in terms of finding repair people.
5. Some of their questions are clearly answered in the contract (“Is the dishwasher broken?” Yes—clearly listed as such in the contract)
posted by bookmammal at 4:58 PM on September 27 [4 favorites]

In my (limited) experience it's unusual. I would be unhappy to be contacted this way and would feel fine about ignoring them after the first couple such questions.
posted by Stacey at 5:21 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

I’ve always thought it weird people don’t talk. I think it’s in real estate agent’s financial interest to be the middlemen of deals. But it can weed out weird questions or buyers / sellers remorse around large dollar amount contracts.
posted by nickggully at 5:45 PM on September 27 [6 favorites]

In my experience it's up to the sellers, but personally when I sell a house, I go out of my way to be helpful. I leave my number. I'm so happy to help people with matching paint, handiman, garbage tips, ideas for future projects, etc.

I'm always baffled that other people don't do this. It feels so normal, and after the deal is done there's so little to lose. I mean, don't incriminate yourself ("yeah the laundry machine always backed up and we didn't disclose it"), but do answer questions ("yes! The plug in the garage can be used for a washing machine or a Tesla!")
posted by bbqturtle at 5:51 PM on September 27 [13 favorites]

We've mostly been in touch with both the buyers and sellers when we've bought/sold houses. I find that it eases things quite a bit. When we sell, I leave a packet with a bunch of info in it including my email address if they have questions. And on the buying side, I've had several occasions where it was mutually beneficial to be in touch. Like "hey, you got an important looking FedEx here. Do you want to come get it, or should I return it to sender?"

I get that there is some risk, but there is risk in all parts of life. I think that the blanket assumption that communication between parties after a real estate deal will lead to litigation or worse is a terribly damaging part of our culture. Most people are good people. Helping each other is nice. There are few people who have more opportunity to be helpful than the people who presumably lived in your new house for many years. If someone is going to sue you over a disclosure or something, they're probably going to do that regardless of whether you talk to them or not. Maybe don't say "yeah, we totally hid the fact that we built an un-permitted addition out of balsa wood" but I think ordinary communication is not only fine, but good.

That said, I do agree that it's not super cool for the neighbor to give out your info. It should be your decision whether you want to be in touch or not. That's why I leave contact info (usually just email, because I don't like phone calls), or go through the agent rather than asking neighbors if I want to contact the other party and don't have their info. I've never had it declined, and every single time it's been positive (definitely for us, and I think for them too).
posted by primethyme at 5:57 PM on September 27 [3 favorites]

Hey - just because the buyers live in the area doesn't mean they know the _right_ people to call for working on _this_ house. Also, you can live in an area a long time and not know the best electrician, plumber, or (hardest of all) handyman for your own house -- your mom probably had really helpful connections, and it's reasonable to think you had them from her.

I do think the neighbors should have asked before giving your number out, though. I imagine the buyers asked, it was an awkward/high pressure situation for the neighbors -- or maybe they come from a culture where this is normal -- and they just did it without having a chance, or the information, to consider a different course.
posted by amtho at 6:37 PM on September 27

In your case, I would find that a strange and off-putting situation. I probably wouldn't respond or I'd just say 'Sorry, never lived there. All info I have is in the contract left with you.'

When we bought our home in Ohio, we met the sellers a couple times and they seemed like the type of people who would gladly answer questions if we had them. Contact info is right there in the paperwork too.
posted by rawralphadawg at 6:41 PM on September 27 [4 favorites]

It's super weird that the ex-neighbor didn't check with you first before giving out your personal information, especially a cell phone number.

The dishwasher question seems like a very big flag to me. They bought a house with a broken dishwasher and now seem surprised to find that to be the case? I would not respond, though maybe flag for your broker that the counterparty may not have been especially attentive during the sale process and there may be incoming as a result. (Yes, it's spelled out in the contract. Doesn't mean they won't blame you anyway.)

I hate to be suspicious—I'd much rather want to help people in this kind of situation. But I'm not getting good vibes here.
posted by Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell at 7:05 PM on September 27 [5 favorites]

Chiming in to say that this is highly unusual and in most cases I am aware of would be highly inappropriate. You do not have a relationship with the house or the new owners. They purchased a product through a mediated sale. This would be like if you sold a car through a dealer and the new car owners tracked you down to ask about the car features or the repair history.
posted by desert exile at 7:10 PM on September 27 [1 favorite]

Not sure if it's common or not, but it seems normal to me. When my wife and I were buying our house, we got to meet the previous owner. She was very nice and gave us information about an addition that her uncle had put in. I think she even gave us her new address. We didn't keep in touch after that one meeting, but I was happy to meet her.
posted by alex1965 at 7:20 PM on September 27

Normal just means common. It really doesn't matter if there is a good reason for it or if it is out of place. What matters is that you already gave them all of the relevant information and you have no interest in dealing with their questions. Next time they reach out, just polite tell them that, as they no doubt know, you did not live in that house and you already disclosed what you knew so you not be able to help them with any further questions. The only thing I might add is a forwarding address for your parents. It is not uncommon to get the occasional mail that you might want long after the one year forwarding period expired.
posted by metahawk at 7:22 PM on September 27

I’d certainly be annoyed to have my cell number shared by someone who only had it for emergency purposes.

I’ve sold one house, and had contact with the buyers afterward about things like snow removal, maintenance, etc. I didn’t think anything of it because the process had been very cordial, and it was a kind of quirky house/neighborhood. I asked some similar questions of the sellers of my current house when we met briefly, though I wouldn’t presume to continue contacting them with random questions—and certainly wouldn’t reach out for non-emergency reasons if they hadn’t given me their contact information.

All of which is to say, these buyers aren’t being outrageously offensive, but they sound clueless and annoying. I’d redirect any further questions: “I’m not able to answer these questions because I didn’t live in the house and don’t know the area. The contract is the best source of information about anything in the house like appliances, and [the neighbors who gave out your number] will be your best bet for information about the neighborhood or referrals for local businesses.”
posted by theotherdurassister at 8:10 PM on September 27 [2 favorites]

To me, as to many people above, the weird part is that they got your phone number in the first place. I had the email address of our sellers for and ended up contacting them a couple of days after the close because despite them leaving fantastic documentation of many things, after 20 minutes of searching by two people in a small property, we could not find the cable modem hookup. The small gratitude of their speedy answer was repaid when over the next month, we got one package and a number of large pieces of mail for the sellers and got them forwarded along through a mutual contact.

I feel like I’m now learning that’s weird? To me it’s just being reasonable humans.

posted by A Blue Moon at 8:38 PM on September 27 [4 favorites]

Super super weird and inappropriate unless the seller very explicitly invites it, in which case it's absolutely fine.
posted by desuetude at 9:04 PM on September 27 [1 favorite]

This happened to my husband and I when we sold our house last year. I found it really strange and we ended up blocking the emails because we weren't comfortable with it. I definitely think correspondence should be made through the realtor. I think the main issue for me was that they got our emails off the official documentation and it felt really intrusive.
posted by thereader at 11:10 PM on September 27

It’s probably innocent, but I live in a highly litigious area and would feel pretty uncomfortable about it.
posted by haptic_avenger at 4:57 AM on September 28

I'm tempted to ask why it would matter if it's normal? I mean, real estate is very different across regions, right? And people have different levels of experience and expectations with it. So... why not react in the way you feel like reacting and be done with it?

I was so out of my comfort zone when I bought my first house. Not only did I ask questions of the owner—he was still in my neighborhood and not possible to avoid bumping into—but we became good friends. I don't know if that was normal, but it was great.
posted by late afternoon dreaming hotel at 5:17 AM on September 28 [2 favorites]

I sold my condo last year and the new owner had my email because she was copied on emails from the attorney's office about joint items like, time and date of the closing. She did email me a couple times to ask questions and did imply that there was some kind of obfuscation in the sale, but I mean, the tub was dripping the three times you toured the condo, I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't address the sideways comments but she needed to know where the whole-house water cutoff was located, and I did know that and I told her. I didn't LIKE it but it wasn't terrible. As thereader says above, it would have been better to come through the realtor.

Now, if someone had given her my phone number without asking me first, I'd be hopping mad at the person giving out my information.
posted by Medieval Maven at 5:45 AM on September 28 [1 favorite]

When we sold the flat I'd lived in for twenty years, I left the new owners a five-page document talking about what I knew of the history of the building, details and dates of renovation work I'd had done ('that ornate plaster ceiling is only three years old, it's a facsimile of the Victorian one that had become unsafe'), the documentation for appliances still under guarantee, things to watch out for, contact details for useful suppliers, and so on. It felt like the kind of thing that I wish a vendor had left for me.

There's the story of Nick Cave inviting audience questions at a concert, and someone asking, "I live in your old flat in Brighton, do you know where the stopcock is?"
posted by Hogshead at 6:29 AM on September 28 [7 favorites]

If I got a call from someone who bought the car I used to own through the dealer, and that person got my phone number without my permission, and the purpose of their call was to say the car was acting funny, did I know of any good auto shops, and where was the button to pop the trunk -- I would not be happy nor would I think it was a chance to make a great human connection. I would think it was inappropriate and weird for adult behavior between two people who have no relationship in relation to a product I also no longer have any relationship with, or obligation around.

If you want to have a relationship with these folks just to have a good human connection, it sounds lovely. Is it normal or appropriate in a mediated house sale? No. Are you normal and acting appropriately to ignore them completely and be a little bit irritated/concerned? Yes.
posted by desert exile at 8:27 AM on September 28 [4 favorites]

When I was a buyer, the seller contacted me after I was added to a group chat for the building. My realtor was very displeased and asked the realtor to tell them not to do that again.
posted by ficbot at 9:14 AM on September 28

When we bought our current house, we got the distinct vibe that the sellers were looking for just the right people to sell it to. Then they were perfectly willing to share info about the house and the neighborhood. Then, one day, while my wife and I were at work, the contractor we hired to change some things called to say he came upstairs to find a guy standing in our living room. Turns out it was the previous owner who walked in to "just see what we were doing with the place." Couple that with the day I found that guy's partner standing on our driveway one morning 'just checking things out' and I had to have a come-to-Jesus conversation with them about letting go. So, yeah, some contact might seem okay, but be wary of what it could grow into.
posted by lpsguy at 10:06 AM on September 28 [5 favorites]

I recently bought a house and I don't think I ever even got the seller's phone number, everything got handled through my real estate agent. If the seller gave me their number (presumably through their agent) with explicit instructions that they welcomed such calls, then that'd be one thing, but if I just happened to find their number on some paperwork, I wouldn't feel entitled to use that info to contact them.
posted by Aleyn at 11:24 AM on September 28

As the replies here indicate, it's totally going to split people.

I wouldn't do it, and would be a bit put out by someone calling me. OTOH I suspect my mother's attitude would be that if you have questions about the house, it would be silly not to ask someone who might know the answer and besides who doesn't love a little chat?

I think there may be a bit of a generational component here, even if not a clean one. It wasn't that long ago that the phone company was printing big thick books that doxxed all their customers and leaving them on people's doorsteps. A lot of people still assume a phone number is just a way to reach someone, nothing much to it.
posted by mark k at 12:36 PM on September 28 [2 favorites]

I don't know exactly about how normal it is generally -- I don't buy or sell a ton of houses and in fact the only time I did sell a house it was directly to the buyer over a handshake while sitting in said house -- but I think this is very, very situational and comes down to how considerate the contact attempt is.

I bought the house I'm sitting in right now from the guy who designed and built it on spec in 1984 early in his contracting career, decided to hang on to it, and then went on to build quite a few more houses in the area. More accurately, I bought it from his holding trust in a totally typical transaction intermediated by my and his agents. I've never met him. The house is so goddamn thoughtful, though, built with a level of attention to detail that is completely divorced from the regional norm that it felt okay to reach out -- again intermediated by both agents -- to exchange email addresses with someone who'd put a lot of care into the thing.

Besides, we'd gone to great lengths to make the transaction as painless and low risk as possible for him, as is appropriate when buying in a hot market.

We had a nice exchange where he gave me terrific advice about how the front door was so gorgeously stained using an old contractor's trick and the model number of the attic fan. It was a warm, friendly interaction that I made an effort to keep on topic and limited in scope.

If some random neighbor had just handed me his number I would have thrown it away. If the offer of contact was not intermediated by both agents, I'd have not even tried.

This is all to say that I was in a situation where I felt it was okay to try to contact the seller after careful consideration. In his shoes I'd have been happy to be contacted. In another situation I would very much not have wanted to bother them, just as I would not want to have been bothered.

Third party randos handing out phone numbers to strangers very much don't get to insert themselves in that decision as far as I'm concerned. Buyers with questions they already have answers to also don't really get a say in the matter. I feel either of those factors would make the contact an imposition, disrespectful of time, attention, and propriety.
posted by majick at 7:16 AM on September 29

I'd be very tempted to put everything back over to whoever was such a jerk to just give out my phone number. Every single question. "Oh I never lived there but my parents were close friends of Mr. Numbergive, they said he always had the best advice. They talked to him about appliances a lot. You should ask him. He's very modest though, at first he will say he doesn't know, just ask him five or six times to show that you really do value his help."

It's strange and unexpected that someone just gives out your personal number to whoever asks.

I'd be concerned that the buyers are hoping to get you to pay for things you shouldn't have to pay for. It's very strange they are asking you about the dishwasher when you already disclosed it was broken.
posted by yohko at 3:48 AM on October 3

So, I decided to leave the new owners a file of all the manuals and warranty cards for the appliances in the house. I figured it would be a nice thing to do and would save them time. Other things I left for the new owners included the contact numbers for the reliable handyman and the folks who did our house remodel. The houses were old, and I wanted to enable them to be good caretakers.

Anyway, I am fine with the new homeowners contacting me about the house. My husband, from Maryland, thought I was being too obliging/intrusive of the new owners.

My neighbours giving the new owners my number? I would be surprised but not offended. My husband would be offended. What I am getting at is that it is highly personal, I guess.
posted by jadepearl at 2:40 PM on October 12 [1 favorite]

« Older An Easy Way to TOC   |   To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade, That Is the Question Newer »