Parental Warning required by Law?

Our band recently recorded, produced, and distributed an album that has an explicit lyric. What are the legal ramifications of distributing music with explicit lyrics without that label?

And what of digital distribution? Is there any real risk here for a really small outfit putting out 1000 CDs?
posted by joecacti to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

Parental advisory labeling is voluntary.
posted by Jairus at 1:17 PM on April 20, 2006

The Parental Advisory Sticker is not a legal requirement. Indie labels forgo the label all the time.
posted by CrunchyFrog at 1:17 PM on April 20, 2006

Indeed, the sticker was created expressly to fend off the threat of government-mandated labeling.
posted by jjg at 1:25 PM on April 20, 2006

Even when they tried Jello Biafra for obscenity, it wasn't about langauge on the record but about the visuals on the poster included with it. I've never heard of anyone being busted for bad words. My band would be in big trouble if they did!
posted by InfidelZombie at 1:50 PM on April 20, 2006

... and in fact, the sticker is shown to increase sales :-)
posted by twiggy at 1:50 PM on April 20, 2006

The Parental Advisory sticker has no legal requirement or ramification whatsoever.
posted by cellphone at 2:54 PM on April 20, 2006

No legal implications to the sticker.

Unfortunately, on iTunes, if you tag one song as "explicit" Apple tags every song on the ALBUM as explicit.
posted by omnidrew at 4:08 PM on April 20, 2006

« Older Can I replace the carpet?   |   Do my boyfriend and I have a chance at long-term... Newer »