What Was This Anime?

I saw an anime, probably from the 90s, but maybe earlier, about these sports stars who have superhuman DNA but then start exploding/dying?

I think it was some sort of medical show, but it might not have been. In fact, I was almost sure it was something from Black Jack, but I looked at all the movies/shows and none of them seem to fit. Does anyone remember this show (or maybe movie)? My memory is so hazy, but I seem to recall that the athletes were doing track and field, like some sprints and pole vault or high jump and then their hearts were exploding, so they brought in a doctor to figure out why these people with superhuman DNA came into existence, but also were dying.

Honestly, part or most of that description might be wrong, It has been like 20 years (I probably watched it in 2004-2005, downloaded from somewhere) so I don't really remember.
posted by Literaryhero to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

Could it have been the segment “World Record” from The Animatrix?
posted by gregvr at 4:44 AM on September 22 [1 favorite]

That was also my guess. Here’s a description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animatrix#World_Record
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 4:46 AM on September 22

Came for the Animatrix answer. But it's like 2003 or so. Really probably not the 'anime' you are thinking of.

Recall that the athletes were doing track and field, like some sprints and pole vault or high jump and then their hearts were exploding, so they brought in a doctor to figure out why these people with superhuman DNA came into existence, but also were dying.

Doesn't reall fit with Animatrix. I have no 90's or even early 00's animes that I remember athletes exploding from mutations of some sort. Hope someone comes up with an answer.
posted by zengargoyle at 2:40 PM on September 22

Best answer: Black Jack: The Movie (1996):
Black Jack is an underground surgeon, who, although he has no licence, has God-Like skills which enable him to perform operations that are impossible for even the finest surgeons.

Charging millions for secret operations, Black Jack is a man who is alone and full of mystery, appearing in operating rooms to fulfill his tasks, and then disappearing.

And now... his biggest challenge... An extraordinary number of intellectual and athletic geniuses (the Super Humans) have the world caught in awe, wonder and excitement. However, little does anyone know about the hideous conspiracy lurking behind this phenomenon... Black Jack comes face to face with a lethal virus, which may endanger the very existence of mankind!
posted by genpfault at 7:10 PM on September 22

Response by poster: That's exactly it, genpfault! I have no idea how I missed that when I was looking. Ah, so relieved, thank you! :))
posted by Literaryhero at 7:27 PM on September 22 [1 favorite]

« Older What was this episode of a documentary series...   |   Help me bake great oatmeal cookies? Newer »