Unresponsive insurance-YANM PI Lawyer

So, last year, this happened.

I finally got a snail letter saying that they were going to cancel the claim if they didn't hear from me by today.

The trouble is, I've sent them e-mail several times with all the receipts attached AND called numerous times and every time I call I get the agent's voice mail (and every time I leave a message and my full contact information). I even got the executive address from Christopher Elliot's web page, if you know him, and sent to that. Someone called me once after that, but when I called back I got voice mail again.

I know they can't close this case, I know about the statue of limitations, but is there a way to get their attention?

I don't believe it is enough $ to sic a lawyer on them. I'm not suing them for 9 million dollars, I'd just like my doc visits and other treatments to be paid.

EDIT: I called the agent again today and got voice mail. Again I left my contact information.
EDIt: Called again, same outcome.
posted by Rumi'sLeftSock to Health & Fitness (10 answers total)

I think I'm missing some pertinent details (is this your own car insurance or the person who hit you?) but it seems like it would be a good idea to contact your state's insurance commission/division of insurance.
posted by mskyle at 3:03 PM on September 21 [1 favorite]

Yeah, it would be really helpful to know whose insurance this is, and if you’ve had any contact with them at all.
posted by kevinbelt at 5:31 PM on September 21

Response by poster: The insurance belongs to the person who hit me. I got one phone call back and when I called back I got another voice mail.

The state insurance comission sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for that.
posted by Rumi'sLeftSock at 7:00 PM on September 21

If you have a good local newspaper that still employs investigative journalists, you might contact them to see if they'd be interested in the story. That's especially a good idea if they have a consumer advocate column, like Sean Murphy at the Boston Globe.
posted by brianogilvie at 8:02 PM on September 21

Just for CYA purposes, make sure you document all the calls you've made and emails you've sent. Can you send another email and request a read receipt?

I'm curious, would you be willing to share the name of the insurance company?
posted by kevinbelt at 8:24 PM on September 21

Why isn't your insurance company going after the other company? It's their job to collect.
posted by oneirodynia at 10:25 PM on September 21 [4 favorites]

Response by poster: Oh, my insurance company wants $500 that I don't have. Incidentally do I get that back if my insurance company fails? Because you bring up a good point and clearly the other guys don't listen to me.
posted by Rumi'sLeftSock at 6:08 AM on September 22

Does the agent have an office you can stop by in person?

Your insurance wants money from you, why? You already pay them premiums. If that is a deductible, then it should not be money you pay upfront but money they take out of your reimbursement amounts and/or underpay the medical bills. If they end up going after the other company, eventually you should also get your deductible back from them.
posted by soelo at 6:28 AM on September 22 [1 favorite]

If the other driver is found at fault it's unlikely you'll pay a deductible unless they are uninsured or underinsured. In any case as soelo says you won't pay it up front, they just deduct it from the check they send you.
posted by oneirodynia at 10:46 AM on September 22

Response by poster: Well, the old insurance (Geico), who I fired for being condescending and unhelpful said I had to pony up the $500. Let's see if the new one, State Farm, does. Happy to hear any personal anecdotes and so on, here or privately.
posted by Rumi'sLeftSock at 8:28 PM on September 23

« Older When to get Omicron booster?   |   English Suburbs Newer »