Recipe collection question

Now that it's cool enough to feel like using the oven, I'm looking for a certain kind of quick bread to make for breakfast; baking it is a fun weekend ritual for me. I love a piece of loaf cake for breakfast, but it needs to be a good breakfast food with whole grains and staying power. Do you have recipes like this?

In order to make it filling, I use whole wheat flour or rolled oats; otherwise, I am hungry an hour later. Modifying recipes on my own to use whole wheat or oats often leads to a dense loaf with an uncooked "tunnel" or one that's too tough on the outside, so it would be helpful to have some recipes already written with them. (Or advice to avoid this!) I have not tried a yeast bread for this purpose, but I am open to it.

What I've enjoyed making is pumpkin bread (with or without chopped dried apricots), banana bread (regular or with cocoa), and various kinds of apple bread. I don't have food allergies, but I won't use raisins, walnuts, or anything else that could hurt a little dog who is real fast on the uptake when food falls on the floor. I also avoid icing or candy mix-ins (although cocoa is OK) to avoid a sugar crash.
posted by Countess Elena to Food & Drink (17 answers total) 31 users marked this as a favorite

Peanut butter banana oatmeal
Double chocolate oatmeal (can leave out the chocolate chips)

Those 2 I know I' ev done. I'll have to look through my recipe stash after work.
posted by kathrynm at 9:56 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

I bought a book of loaf cakes earlier in the year, and then life got in the way, and I haven't actually made anything from it yet. But there's a recipe in it for "Oatbake with blueberries and raspberries" (are blueberries and raspberries OK for dogs?), which looks to be exactly this recipe. The oats aren't a complete substitute for flour though; it uses 100g of rolled oats and 120g of plain flour.

Similarly mixing and matching, there are quite a few gingerbread loaf recipes that call for a mixture of white and wholemeal flour; here's an example.

Or there's parkin, a different style of ginger cake, which uses a mixture of wholemeal flour and oatmeal... not rolled oats, but close! That recipe is for a cake tin, but I thought the article was interesting enough to include it anyway. Here's a parkin recipe for a loaf tin.
posted by ManyLeggedCreature at 10:20 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

I will link you to the book itself and tell you about 2 recipes in it -

Snacking Cakes has a whole lot of nice, simple cakes that are exactly this kind of thing. The recipes as written usually are square cakes, but the vast majority of them can be adapted to round cake pans, loaf cake pans, cupcakes, or even sheet cakes, and she tells you in the notes how to adjust each recipe (i.e., the main recipe is for a square pan and it says to bake for 45 minutes, and the notes say that for a loaf pan you just up it to 55 or something). Some of the recipes are clearly NOT breakfast-suitable (all the chocolate ones, for instance), but many of them are.

And there are several recipes that use other flours. There's a strawberry one that uses whole wheat, and a banana that uses buckwheat; I think there's also peanut butter in there, but I'm not sure. (I'm at work and the book is at home, otherwise I'd copy the recipe in here.)

But I can link you to this chocolate buckwheat loaf cake on the site Chocolate And Zucchini. The "chocolate" component is chocolate chips as opposed to cocoa powder, so you could easily experiment by taking that recipe and substituting chopped nuts or blueberries or something else for the chocolate chips if you want. (My only warning is to pay attention to the juiciness if your fruit if you're going that route; I once did a one-to-one swap for chopped apples in a cranberry cake, and for that particular cake it just didn't work because the apples were too juicy.)
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 10:37 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

This is a "skinny" bread i discovered while on WW, and it was tasty enough that i still make it. I've even replaced the liquid with orange juice and added orange zest and cranberries to make a tasty cranberry orange bread.
posted by BlueBear at 11:10 AM on September 20 [2 favorites]

We make this savory herb bread a lot, it's high in protein and you can sub in as much as half of the flour for almond flour, or use whole wheat flour. We usually use einkorn flour, as it's higher in protein & fiber than commercial wheat flours today.

Feta & Herb Quick Bread (we've used queso fresco, paneer & fresh mozerella as well) I don't recommend any wet mix-ins like sun dried tomatoes or green onions. High in protein, especially if you use the almond flour + greek yogurt. But not particularly high in fiber, if that's a requirement.

This vegan banana coconut bread also sticks to your ribs in a hearty way.

I've also made both as muffins, and froze some. They thaw pretty well and allow for some variety for mornings if you have a big baking day once a month.
posted by typetive at 11:20 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

You might find some good options in the 101 Cookbooks baking archives, like this carrot cake loaf made with whole wheat pastry flour. Her baked goods tend to be on the hearty/sturdy side.

That said, I’ve never had a rustic/filling quickbread that I liked nearly as much as the more cake-like kind. If I wanted to enjoy weekend breakfasts of homemade quickbreads without crashing an hour later, I’d add a hard boiled egg or some cheese to my plate. I don’t mean this in a snarky way. I spent a long time trying to find the type of recipe you’re looking for and I just ended up eating a lot of disappointing baked goods. YMMV
posted by theotherdurassister at 11:25 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

I use an instant digital thermometer (mine is a Thermopop) to measure the internal temperature of quickbreads. My recipes are done at 205 f .

Here's an article with more details: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2018/03/15/how-to-tell-when-banana-bread-is-done
posted by RoadScholar at 11:30 AM on September 20 [2 favorites]

I make slightly-enriched brown yeast bread which works fine in loaf form and would make good breakfast:

500g of mixed white and wholemeal bread flour
1tbsp dried yeast
Salt to taste
300ml warm milk
A lump of butter, 25g maybe?
Optionally an egg, or else a bit more milk to get to bread dough consistency

This works as regular bread or buns, I usually make buns and freeze them. I skip the first rise sometimes if I can't be bothered, it's not quite as good but perfectly nice. If you make eight buns, they come out exactly the right size for adding a sausage patty and an egg.

My Mum used to make this and chuck in small amounts of breakfasty things, barley flakes I think, it worked fine.
posted by quacks like a duck at 11:47 AM on September 20 [1 favorite]

There's a popular Weight Watchers recipe called Grace's Oat Bread. It's not a quickbread exactly but it's very filling and has no sugar. I sometimes do a more savory version and add fresh herbs. Or I add mashed bananas and blueberries.

I got this recipe for healthy banana berry muffins (I'm sure you could do loaf pans, I just haven't) from another WW user and wrote it up. Uses whole wheat pastry flour, no oil, very little sugar. You can modify to make peanut butter muffins by removing the berries and adding powdered peanut butter and almond milk.
posted by radioamy at 2:34 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

Maybe bakers who are particular would have a different opinion, but I like to use chickpea flour for fillingness. Not a grain but it works great. Dogs shouldn't live off beans but stealing a bean-based treat is fine.

Also good for fillingness: substitute "sugar" with actual fruit such as applesauce. May require a bit of critical thinking about the recipe but, again, I'm not too particular in my baking as long as it tastes good. And I've found that substitutions still result in tasty baked goods.
posted by aniola at 4:38 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: These all sound so good! Thank you so much! I think I will get that Snacking Cakes book, since it's apparently on sale. I just realized that I do have a kitchen thermometer lying around somewhere from when I used to make yogurt a lot. I had better start using it instead of a fork, since waiting for the fork to come out dry can lead to the outer regions of the loaf getting overdone and hard.

ManyLeggedCreature: yes, dogs can eat those berries! Got to watch it of course. Your post reminded me to look for golden syrup, which we only get Stateside in shops with imported foods. But I love golden syrup so much and it is totally worth it.
posted by Countess Elena at 7:06 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

TA DA!

https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/10/morning-glory-breakfast-cake/

I put a little crackly shower of chia seeds on top. Perfection!
posted by athirstforsalt at 9:16 PM on September 20 [2 favorites]

I'm not a big cake-baker, but this banana bread from Cookie and Kate is really good. My dog is a big fan of bananas, so he likes it too.
posted by mumimor at 11:39 PM on September 20 [1 favorite]

Oh, I wonder if "invisible cakes" would do? There's a whole subcategory of cakes where the main ingredient is actually fruit, sliced very thin and mixed with just barely enough batter to hold it together. Somewhere in one of my other cookbooks there's a pear one, and in the Snacking Cakes book there's an apple one. Here's one that combines apples and pears both, and also adds some chocolate chips; you can easily omit the chocolate chips if you want to be more virtuous.

And here's a similar recipe in which it's nuts that are just barely being held together by the batter. The TikTok guy who tests retro recipes tried it and actually approved.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 6:37 AM on September 21 [1 favorite]

Oh - and I am TOTALLY going to be trying this cake from Smitten Kitchen this weekend if you want a guinea pig. It is a carrot cake which uses apple cider, and in the notes she suggests an option for if you want to incorporate whole wheat flour. (It's not a total swap, she suggests blending white and wheat at a 2:1 ratio.)
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 6:42 AM on September 21 [1 favorite]

(Whoops - forgot about you avoiding nuts, please disregard my suggestion re: the Great Northern Nut Loaf above.)
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 6:43 AM on September 21

I've generally found white whole wheat flour works better as a direct substitute for white flour compared to regular whole wheat flour. I sometimes do increase liquid ratios a bit, but I've substituted white whole wheat flour into a blueberry muffin recipe without issue. It can sometimes be a little harder to track down, though.
posted by litera scripta manet at 9:20 AM on September 21 [1 favorite]

« Older Any idea what an endoscopy costs in Brooklyn?   |   Halloween Crafts for Teenage Boys Newer »