What do know about Clear Direction?

Ever heard of Clear Direction and its relation to formal axiology? Is it scammy? Legit? What can you tell me about it?

My boyfriend's boss had all his managers take a survey today as part of the Clear Direction program, a new business solution/training package he's signed up for. The program came up with a "management profile" for my boyfriend. On the one hand, the profile is typical Myers-Briggs personality stuff; on the other hand, there's a whiff of pseudoscience to the whole thing -- it tries very hard to sell "formal axiology" as a hard science, and it talks about "balancing one's six thought centers" and such.

Googling tells me that formal axiology does seem to be a real, though small, scholarly field, but otherwise I'm coming up with circular hits -- everything leads back to Hartman, who invented formal axiology, Hartman's co-authors, and the society Hartman founded. And there's little about Clear Direction and how it truly relates to formal axiology....or whether it's a reasonable program. Is this the usual business process/personality/leadership thing, or is it something worse?
posted by climalene to Work & Money (1 answer total)

I don't know about that program, but it does look like "formal axiology" is not a reputable academic field. I work in ethics and occasionally value theory (what most people now call axiology) and I've never heard of it. The so-called "Science of Value" is described here and it reads like a pseudo-science, pseudo-math, or pseudo philosophy purporting to explain why we like Christmas using transfinite numbers. Axiology certainly has nothing to do with "thought centers".

Sounds like either a cult built around an former professor at Tennessee or a cult he built. I would stay away.
posted by ontic at 9:09 PM on April 19, 2006

« Older Free MBTA on Earth Day '06?   |   Free sheet music: Canon in D ? Newer »