have you seen this dress in other colors?

I like this dress but not the color. Help me find others like it?

Here's the dress.

What I like about it:

knee length
fabric appears not clingy but also not boxy or billowy
v neck not too deep but not too shallow. looks just right.
the waist tie - very important
NOT polyester.

I'm agnostic on the sleeve, but any sleeve I wear has to be at least 3/4, and not tight.

I really like this dress but the color makes me sad. Would love suggestions of alternates! Patterns ok too. I'm not going to start dyeing stuff, please don't suggest it.

posted by fingersandtoes to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: also important, has to be avail in XL or equivalent ~16-18.
posted by fingersandtoes at 2:47 PM on September 3, 2022

Eshakti has dozens of dresses like this! They come in your size, and their whole thing is that they customize the items for you. So just find a dress with a fabric you like, and you can adjust the neckline (sometimes) sleeve length and skirt length (always), and you can also request a belt - just find a similar belt on another dress and write them a note to explain what you want. I’ve also successfully customized their items by asking them to lengthen a sash belt so it hung down longer, and lower a neckline by an inch compared to what the images showed.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 3:32 PM on September 3, 2022 [2 favorites]

Eshakti has this cotton knit dress in garnet or black (customize the neckline & length). Site has lots of v-neck dresses, with waist ties/sashes & details you list, in non-polyester fabrics.
posted by Iris Gambol at 3:34 PM on September 3, 2022

Y'all, EShakti is great, but their fabrics tend not to have as much body as the example dress. The apparent body/thickness of that fabric is a wonderful thing to find.
posted by amtho at 3:40 PM on September 3, 2022 [1 favorite]

Eshakti has A LOT of fabrics- in their early days it was all silky woven polyester and stretchy knit jersey but now they have a lot more variety and some thicker fabrics too. For example this chambray dress - this specific design has a collar but they might be able to make it in a v-neck if you write a note to ask and sent a photo of the dress you like. And they could definitely lengthen the sleeves.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 3:49 PM on September 3, 2022

This one is poplin which is a nice snappy kind of cotton.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 3:55 PM on September 3, 2022 [1 favorite]

If you like linen, this dress from Not Perfect Linen on Etsy has snap buttons, a waist tie, long sleeves (that you could request shortened to 3/4 length), pockets, and lots of colors.
posted by lisa g at 3:59 PM on September 3, 2022

If cotton knit is okay, eShakti has a "Tie Waist Cotton Jersey Shirtdress" which has the set-in waist and sash you like. It has buttons in the bodice so essentially a V-neck. The collar can be changed as well as sleeve length, dress length, and fabric color.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 4:01 PM on September 3, 2022

Response by poster: I forgot to say I can't wear collars. Like anything "shirt dress" style just does not work; nor can there be buttons on the front unless they're just decorative (otherwise they will 100% gape open over my bust.) Also wrap dresses almost never work because they show too much cleavage on me; the exception might be from a vendor that specializes in modest clothing, they sometimes allow some extra fabric, but they tend to go to dowdy lengths.
posted by fingersandtoes at 4:24 PM on September 3, 2022

Best answer: Boden might be worth a look. If prints are OK, this dress is a little bit shorter than the one you linked, but most of their styles are available in long, which adds a bit of length.

(Apologies if this addendum is something you've tried already or know wouldn't work for you, but it sounds like you have some similar fit issues as I do, and I've found Second Base demi camis make deeper V necks and wrap dresses wearable. They give a little extra coverage without a lot of bulk.)
posted by EvaDestruction at 4:38 PM on September 3, 2022 [4 favorites]

EvaDestruction, that Boden blue print dress is great! I did not know of that site, love their esthetic, thanks for posting!
posted by I_Love_Bananas at 5:08 AM on September 4, 2022 [1 favorite]

I have sewed the placket shut over the bust on several shirt dresses to solve the gaping problem if that's useful. Has to be a dress that is sized so one can wear as a pullover of course.
posted by leslies at 6:46 AM on September 4, 2022 [2 favorites]

Also, the shirtdress style I ordered from eShakti has hidden buttons in the chest area to prevent any gaping. It was a happy discovery when I got my dress.
posted by annieb at 5:53 PM on September 4, 2022

« Older Have a Taste   |   “Bad Sisters” but make it Radiohead Newer »