Free Budgeting Software

I'm looking for simple PC desktop (not mobile app) software to manage credit card expenses. I would just like it to import a statement and separate it into categories each month so I can track expenses. I would be ok with a one time fee, but not a monthly subscription. Does such a thing exist or should I just do it by hand in Excel?
posted by roaring beast to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If you're at all tech-savvy, Actual just became open-source. You can self-host and it will do all the things you want it to.
posted by thebots at 10:13 AM on August 29, 2022

I used to use a variety of different services for this, but then I built out my own Excel workbook and have never thought about going back.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 11:14 AM on August 29, 2022

I use Homebanc to do exactly that. I've implemented Elizabeth Warren's 50/30/20 budget in the software.
posted by COD at 5:07 PM on August 29, 2022

For clarification: are you expecting the software to ingest a PDF of your statement(s) from the credit card company(ies), then "automagically" categorize what you purchased?
posted by TimHare at 7:09 PM on August 29, 2022

Response by poster: I'd like to import a CSV and have it split into categories, but if need be, I could assign the categories myself. It would be nice just to have some automation to it, especially for ongoing tracking and things like that.
posted by roaring beast at 7:41 PM on August 29, 2022

You could try Moneydance, which has a free trial and is then a one-off purchase (including updates for a couple of years or so). I haven't done any online banking or importing with it, but it can import CSVs for example. I guess that after you've assigned a category to a transaction that next time you do an import, payments to/from the same company will default to the category you set before.

It's not the prettiest app but has been around, and gradually improved, for years and years.
posted by fabius at 5:15 AM on August 30, 2022

I've recommended Buckets here before. I know it does bank imports, although I haven't used them myself. It has an unlimited free trial, so it's easy to take a look and see if it works for you. Buying a license is a one-time fee.
posted by Lirp at 9:32 PM on August 30, 2022

« Older Annotated bibliography   |   Stomach issues……could it be be IBS or what? Newer »