Help me prove the existence of this non existent food.

Help me identify this vietnamese dessert?

Two years ago when I was in Dallas visiting my cousin we stopped by a Vietnamese place for lunch. For dessert we had some kind of "milkshake"?

It *looked and tasted* like it was a fruit jello topped with coconut milk. Half jello and half coconut milk, to be exact.

I tried to order this at a vietnamese bar/bakery by giving the description above. They looked at me like I was nuts. And my Texan friend doesn't remember what the dessert was. Argh.

I tried googling it, but came up with beans. Oh, and there were no beans (mung, red, or otherwise). Yes, I tried taking bean and beans out of the search. Oh, and the jello was red.

Does anyone recognize what I'm talking about? Do you know what it's called? Would you happen to know any eateries that serve described dessert (I'm in DC)?

I'm hoping this wasn't a restaurant special. It was very good. No, I don't remember what restaurant we ate at.
posted by moonshine to Food & Drink (5 answers total)

Was it Suong Sa Hat Luu?
posted by barnone at 8:19 PM on April 18, 2006

Or maybe sinh to bo?
posted by bim at 8:26 PM on April 18, 2006

Or Suong Sa Hot Luu (picture on bottom right - but with red instead of green jelly)? Or Che Thai.
posted by barnone at 8:34 PM on April 18, 2006

The again, see if any of these pictures look familiar -- so we at least know what it looks like. :)
posted by bim at 8:35 PM on April 18, 2006

I don't recall there being tapioca, but that picture really looks like what I'm remembering. I'm going to have to stop by that place when I'm up in Rockville next month. Mmmmm.

Bim, it was definitely red and not green. But that avocado dessert looks really yummy, too.

Thank you both, you've both been very helpful!
posted by moonshine at 8:35 PM on April 18, 2006

« Older What is this very generic looking font?   |   C#XMLFilter Newer »