How does Tom Clancy rate an Executive Producer credit on Jack Ryan?
August 9, 2022 8:19 PM   Subscribe

On Amazon’s Jack Ryan series, Tom Clancy is listed as an executive producer. The “based on characters created by” credit, okay, sure, but how does he qualify as an executive producer, having been dead for coming up on 10 years now?
posted by Naberius to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

His agent probably negotiated the exec producer credit when they original sold the rights to the studio for development. Platinum Dunes, Michael Bay’s production company, is listed as developing it. Platinum Dunes has been around since 2001 so it’s possible they’ve been sitting on rights for a Jack Ryan TV show for longer than Clancy has been dead.
posted by bq at 8:23 PM on August 9, 2022 [15 favorites]

Producer credits run the gamut - any of these:
Person who works to a sweaty pulp making things happen
Person who invested some money and was thanked with a credit that sounds cool
Person who's related to someone important and giving them a credit was a way to get in with their famous relative
Person whose estate is managed by a savvy entertainment lawyer
Person who negotiated it into their contract because it's a job title with upward mobility
Person without whose tireless labour the show would have fallen apart
Person without whose tireless meddling the show would have gone better
Person who did nothing at all

You can know that someone is a producer or executive producer but still know absolutely nothing about how much of the show is due to their labour or taste. It's a wild card title.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 9:16 PM on August 9, 2022 [20 favorites]

"We want Tom Clancy's name in the big font in the credits; his name sells."

"Sure - "Based on a book by Tom Clancy".

"Based on book by Tom Clancy? What if some of 'em think we turned it into a chick flick? The bros won't like that."

"Okay. Hows about we make him one of the producers?"

"A TOP producer."

"Right. I'll call the agent and see how much they want for that."

Note that this conversation took place before the movie was actually pitched, let alone cast or filmed.
posted by Jane the Brown at 4:23 AM on August 10, 2022 [2 favorites]

You can know that someone is a producer or executive producer but still know absolutely nothing about how much of the show is due to their labour or taste. It's a wild card title.

“What's an associate producer credit?”

“It's what you give to your secretary instead of a raise.“
posted by mhoye at 5:10 AM on August 10, 2022 [4 favorites]

>“It's what you give to your secretary instead of a raise."

Definitely accurate, but also, not - I'm working with an associate producer right now who's absolutely keeping the wheels on the bus. Without her everything would be a grumpy mess. Already today she's sent 3 problem-solving team emails that are saving our butts.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 12:51 PM on August 10, 2022

Your question made me think of this tweet from Seth Rogen - link. I found reading the replies interesting as people speculated and he answered yep or nope based on what he knew to be true from his experience.
posted by velocipedestrienne at 7:42 AM on August 12, 2022

« Older Do I butt in on this work incident? (academia...   |   18th and 19th century emigration restricted due to... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments