Identify this film?

Can someone help me identify this movie? It was a late 80s or early 90s film about a young American filmmaker.

I don't remember much about it except that I think some part of it was shot in black and white (but could be wrong). I believe the film was narrated in part by the filmmaker who was speaking in first person (but also could be wrong). I remember an older (Italian?) character with silver hair and there was some involvement in the drug trade. At one point the silver haired guy who was involved in drugs says to the young filmmaker "Ooooo drugs ooooo" mockingly. The movie was actually fairly funny. I saw it years ago and remember liking it and have made several attempts to identify it since without success. It was playing at an alternative cinema so it couldn't have been very mainstream.

Thanks.
posted by zaebiz to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

Man Bites Dog?
posted by DieHipsterDie at 2:34 PM on April 18, 2006

Man Bites Dog is inb French though. Probably not what you're looking for but a good movie anyway.
posted by DieHipsterDie at 2:36 PM on April 18, 2006

Could it have been Cecil B. Demented?
posted by penchant at 2:39 PM on April 18, 2006

Thanks but not either of those two. I'm pretty sure the film was set in NYC. It was about this young filmmaker describing his journey and somewhere along the line he meets the older silver-haired guy who turns out to be in the drug trade. I would say the movie was fairly light-hearted in an ironic sort of way.
posted by zaebiz at 2:47 PM on April 18, 2006

Man Bites Dog was Belgian, right? So not so much about a 'young American filmmaker.' Great movie, though.

Living in Oblivion, maybe?
posted by jtron at 2:52 PM on April 18, 2006

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104503/

In the Soup starring Steve Buscemi?
posted by stavx at 2:58 PM on April 18, 2006

You know.... I think "In The Soup" might just be it! I have to do a bit more reading about the movie to confirm but that Seymour Cassel with his silver hair as the gangster is looking suspiciously familiar......
posted by zaebiz at 3:09 PM on April 18, 2006

Yep - In The Soup! A 10 year old problem solved in the space of 40 minutes. Great job!

I must have really enjoyed the movie at the time. It's been in my mind for a long time and I saw it at a time of my life where I wasn't seeing much to laugh about in life. Thanks!
posted by zaebiz at 3:29 PM on April 18, 2006

« Older The Game of Life   |   Is it libel? Newer »