temper temper

I need: clear glass vessel, approximately 2 quarts, fits in refrigerator door, can handle boiling hot water, has lid. What do you know?
posted by allelopath to Home & Garden (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Half gallon mason jar? I've filled them with boiling water and they are fine, as long as you don't then dunk it in cold water etc. You can get all kinds of nicer lids too. Mine Just barely fit in my fridge door, ymmv.
posted by SaltySalticid at 8:20 AM on July 5, 2022 [7 favorites]

Luminarc fridge pitcher?
posted by XtineHutch at 8:22 AM on July 5, 2022 [1 favorite]

An old-fashioned milk bottle? I'd get a big cork to replace the disc of cardboard which once was the lid. Not the standard quart bottles with square cross-section, but the larger, half-gallon size, with the grips molded into the sides. I bet one would fit in a fridge door, sideways. Here's some at Amazon with screw-top lids.
posted by Rash at 8:24 AM on July 5, 2022 [1 favorite]

I use glass milk bottles to store ice coffee. The ergonomics and storage quality are great. However, when I looked online I wasn't able to find one that was described as safe for boiling water.

The bottles I have are from a local dairy where I get my milk. I expect that it would handle boiling water, but I've never tried, and YMMV from supplier to supplier.
posted by Winnie the Proust at 8:33 AM on July 5, 2022

Best answer: I would not count on either mason jars or milk bottles to handle thermal shock. You can put hot liquids in mason jars if you gently preheat first. I've blown the bottom out of many a mason jar by pouring in hot (not even boiling) water--even hot tap water. To be clear, it's the heat gradient that breaks glass--you can get a mason jar as hot as you like as long as it's heated evenly. But if you pour boiling water into a cool mason jar it will rapidly heat the inside/bottom and not the outside/sides. The hot glass will expand dramatically enough to "disconnect" from the unheated glass.

What you're looking for is borosilicate glass, which has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion. You do still need to be careful about how you add boiling water to borosilicate vessels, but they're nowhere near as touchy as a mason jar.
posted by pullayup at 8:39 AM on July 5, 2022 [10 favorites]

Best answer: This shouldn't be considered a recommendation--I've never even seen this pitcher in real life--but this is the sort of thing you're looking for: "The BALI is made of hand-made heatproof Borosilicate glass that can withstand temperature swings and thats flavor neutral, and BPA and lead free."
posted by pullayup at 8:46 AM on July 5, 2022 [2 favorites]

You could try to find a 2 liter borosilicate beaker or lab bottle. Something like this, for example.
posted by slkinsey at 9:23 AM on July 5, 2022 [1 favorite]

I have a borosilicate pitcher that looks like the one in XtineHutch's comment (can't tell if that one is borosilicate) that I use to make iced tea. It is pretty perfect.
posted by hydropsyche at 10:09 AM on July 5, 2022

Pyrex used to make pitchers. You can still find them on Ebay, with and without lids.
posted by Mchelly at 10:16 AM on July 5, 2022

To be perfectly clear, I have with my own hands poured boiling water into 1/2 gal mason jars dozens of times with no problem. I will admit to pouring carefully and slowly. I can't obviously prove it could never crack, but it hasn't for me.
posted by SaltySalticid at 10:34 AM on July 5, 2022 [1 favorite]

The hot glass will expand dramatically enough to "disconnect" from the unheated glass.

I've seen this happen with supposedly dishwasher safe cocktail mixing glasses. It wasn't the catastrophic shattering people expect with temperature shock, just a crack where the bottom and sides were joined. I haven't seen it happen when canning stuff in Mason jars purchased for the purpose*, but I always preheat my jars and contents before canning.

* Received Wisdom is that jars that came, say, as the container for a commercial pasta sauce or whatever may not actually survive home canning, so I've never tried canning anything in a jar I didn't buy specifically for the purpose.

Half gallon Mason jars only fit in one place in our fridge door, which has compartments of varying depth and height. I use them for cold brew coffee and having to reorganize the fridge just to put one away is annoying.
posted by fedward at 10:41 AM on July 5, 2022

Best answer: I've been using this pitcher for almost exactly a year to make my daily iced tea. Part of the reason I picked this exact one was in the product description:
The Glass pitcher are made by durable borosilicate glass, which is lighter and stronger than regular glass, hand blown, heat-resistant. Withstand instantaneous temperature difference without burst between temperature 0 to 300 ℉.
I've poured boiling water into this thing almost every single day with absolutely no problems.
posted by ssmith at 7:13 PM on July 5, 2022 [2 favorites]

« Older Should I be concerned about mail addressed to an...   |   Does this place have multiple businesses on site?... Newer »