My Outlook backup, my exchange provider, and a mess.

Outlook is acting strange, things don't seem to be where they were supposed to be, etc. When I look at the folder list view in the navigation pane, things become clearer. There are two "top-level" markers, one entitled "Personal Folders" and the other entitled "Mailbox." When I go to my calendar, for example, I have two calendars. One entitled "calendar" one entitled "calendar in mailbox." Similar story with "Contacts."

Oddly, under "Personal Folders", there exists the inbox and the notes that I want to keep, but under "mailbox" there exists the calendar and the contacts that I want to keep.

I use an exchange server provider for some of this stuff, but I really can't figure out what's going on. Is there a way to merge all of this, so I don't have two calendars, two contacts lists, etc? Can someone guess how I came to have two functionally equivalent but content-varied folders? Furthermore, does there exist some sort of "Outlook for Dummies" that explains the origins of this weird (to me, at least) structure?
posted by Kwantsar to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

Go into your Control Panel and check and see if you have a "Mail Options" or "Mail Accounts" icon. If you can find it (don't know what version of Windows or Outlook you are using, so I can't be more specific) then select the option that should be along the lines of "Edit/Modify Account" and you should be able to see the email account you have set up.

Once there, check to see where it says to deliever the messages. If what I suspect has happened has happened, then it says to deliever to your local folders.

Basically, this happens at my work all the time. I move to a new computer, connect to the server and it winds up thinking that I want to deliver everything locally. All you have to do is to change the drop down from "Local" or "Personal Folders" then drag everything back into your normal folders.
posted by slavlin at 6:01 PM on April 16, 2006

What Slavlin says. This is not unusual.
posted by k8t at 11:15 PM on April 16, 2006

« Older How to stop being my own worst enemy   |   More Ask.Metafilter like resources.. Newer »