Lesbian gothics?

I love the paperback gothics that were published in the 60s and 70s. Like governesses, women running from houses, all that. A cute mystery and romance. I would love to read some in which the main affair or romance is between two women. Not too very period-piece. Any help? How would a Dorothy Eden or Phyllis Whitney novel come out with this as a focus, I have no idea, but that might just be paradise. With some more sex than the usual would also be good.
posted by noelpratt2nd to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

Not quite, but maybe Tipping the Velvet? (on preview: Ha, it's also Sarah Waters!)
posted by nkknkk at 12:21 PM on May 19 [2 favorites]

Best answer: Naiad Press was my go to back in the day. I just saw that they sold to a larger publisher in 2003. This looks like a list of their books.

Also, The Women's Press published 3 mysteries by Val McDermid before she got famous.

IDK if this will fit the bill for you or not, but Ann Bannon was a big name back in the 50's and 60's.

Jane Rule's Desert of the Heart was made into a movie.

Before Nevada Barr got famous, she wrote Bittersweet.
posted by elmay at 12:51 PM on May 19 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Thanks so much. Male authors also fine.
posted by noelpratt2nd at 12:53 PM on May 19

Sarah Waters definitely also occurred to me.
posted by potrzebie at 10:22 PM on May 19

If you think goth lesbians could appeal, I am currently obsessed with the necromantic dorks of Gideon the Ninth and Harrow the Ninth.
posted by See you tomorrow, saguaro at 6:40 PM on May 21 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Honestly, I'm looking for more lipstick, less butch.
posted by noelpratt2nd at 4:00 PM on May 23

« Older Help me remember this book!   |   Plumbing Problem Newer »