5-fluorouracil treatment actinic keratosis..paper bag??

I am being treated for the above mentioned actinic keratosis. My doctor is having me cover my whole face, unlike a previous treatment some years ago that just had me treating several spots.

What i'd like to know is how you have handled the reaction, oozy, crusty,burned looking skin? I am allowed to use makeup, but as of today, the situation is getting much worse. I expected this, but am still quite thrown with how awful my face looks, and fully knowing that the worst is yet to come. I am wearing a mask, and can probably continue to do this, but anyone who has tips to deal with the discomfort and the overall grossness,I'd love to hear from you!
(And I'm not complaining, am totally glad that I have access to this treatment. I just don't want to scare anyone.)
posted by LaBellaStella to Health & Fitness (1 answer total)

Response by poster: Well, it got way worse! Turns out my sensitive skin did not react well to having my complete face treated at the same time. I had what was basically second degree chemical burns around my mouth, under my eyes and my nose. The dermatologist I saw said this was not what was expected to happen, and had me immediately stop the treatment. It took about 3 weeks but I healed and am now treating smaller portions of my face, only applying the cream once a day. It's going to take longer to complete the treatment, but will be much less painful and unsightly.

I will note that my healed skin looks great. And I am being religious about sunscreen on all exposed skin, all the time!
posted by LaBellaStella at 9:51 AM on April 12, 2022

« Older ISO seat cushion with attached back, for singing   |   Four days til travel and no passport Newer »