Got my viagra, need some contacts.

Recommended off-shore vendor for contact lenses? I'm looking for a foreign firm that will deliver to the US without a prescription, preferably overnight.

I'm well aware of the reasons this could be a bad idea, and couldn't possibly care less about them. It's a stop-gap measure to get me through a short-term scheduling impossibility.
posted by I Love Tacos to Health & Fitness (17 answers total)

I know my prescription, so that's not an issue. It's just that it's expired, I don't have time to fix that for a week or two, and apprently there's an $11,000 fine for selling contacts without a new one.
posted by I Love Tacos at 12:02 PM on April 11, 2006

Why not ask your optician if they'll spot you a pair until you can get in for an appointment? Mine has done that for me on more than one occasion.
posted by SashaPT at 12:24 PM on April 11, 2006

I know someone very well who used 1800Contacts, and just said that his prescription was current. They never checked with the doctor.
posted by Pacrand at 12:35 PM on April 11, 2006

I ordered a set from Vision Direct a month ago, they sent me an email that they couldn't get in touch with my eye doctor, but sent the contacts anyway.. maybe you don't have to find an offshore seller?
posted by unmake at 12:37 PM on April 11, 2006

This is actually how I discovered that my prescription wasn't current. I re-ordered off of 1800Contacts, and they called me up to tell me I was no go.

Why not ask your optician if they'll spot you a pair until you can get in for an appointment?

My lenses aren't (as far as I can tell) stocked by any local eye doctors. It's all a bit special order. She even had to special order the samples, when I was first getting fitted.
posted by I Love Tacos at 12:42 PM on April 11, 2006

One could also white-out the section of their perscription that specifies the end-date and fax that in to 1800contacts, if one were so inclined.
posted by odinsdream at 1:51 PM on April 11, 2006

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that forging a prescription is illegal. Don't do that, at least.
posted by MrZero at 2:17 PM on April 11, 2006

Sorry for the threadjack, but why in the hell do you need a prescription for contact lenses? This irritates me to no end, and I don't even wear contacts (my SO does, however, and had to go through the same shit).
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 4:15 PM on April 11, 2006

Sorry if this isn't 100% helpful, but when I've been in this situation (twice), an optometrist/optician has been able to give me a free sample for a similar contact. Usually it wasn't good enough to see 20/20, but I could drive and certainly function. This would work if you were only waiting about a week or two out.
posted by rossination at 4:19 PM on April 11, 2006

why in the hell do you need a prescription for contact lenses?

Not only do you need a prescription, but congress recently passed a law stating that the prescription is only valid for one year.

I guess the eye doctors of the world finally invested in some lobbyists and got themselves a law.
posted by I Love Tacos at 5:51 PM on April 11, 2006

And for what it's worth, I wound up ordering from a sketchy internet contact lens website.

If the lenses arrive without issue, I'll add the site's name to this thread.
posted by I Love Tacos at 5:53 PM on April 11, 2006

I'm not an eye doctor or anything like one, but I feel confident in saying this:

It's not so much the strength of the prescription as the fact that eyes change and not all types of lenses are appropriate or safe in all eyes. The point is to make sure that you have a regular exam by an eye doctor to make sure, among other things, that wearing contacts is still an ok thing for you to be doing, and that you are being prescribed a type of lens that's currently suitable for you. These aren't just reading glasses after all. They're worn on the surface of your eyeball, which is probably the most sensitive exposed part of your body. I hardly think requiring a prescription is a moneymaking scheme.
posted by Songdog at 8:47 PM on April 11, 2006

Can you wear glasses until you can get some from your regular doc?
posted by FergieBelle at 4:11 PM on April 12, 2006

They're worn on the surface of your eyeball, which is probably the most sensitive exposed part of your body.

And yet, I can buy condoms without a prescription.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 4:28 PM on April 12, 2006

It's sounding like the penalties are severe enough that you're not going to find a business in any country that will ship to you without a prescription.

Could you take matters into your own hands and cross the border into Mexico or Canada (I'm assuming your in the U.S.) and sort this out?

A slightly more complex version is go through your list of buddies that live near the border. This assumes, of course, that contact lenses are easier to get in Canada or Mexico.
--
Of course, bringing internationally acquired prescriptions across the border probably counts as smuggling. I don't suspect there'd be much problem with contact lenses for personal use though.
posted by deanj at 5:12 PM on April 12, 2006

I could do that, if I bought myself a pair of glasses. I actually went to do that, but couldn't bring myself to spend $500 on a pair of glasses that I didn't even like. (And I couldn't find a pair that I liked.)
posted by I Love Tacos at 7:31 AM on April 14, 2006

You should be able to get a cheap pair of glasses (or two), plus an eye exam, for under $200 from somewhere like LensCrafters. The eye exam will also net you a new contact lens prescription.

They generally aren't the most stylish frames, but it's pretty great to have something to fall back to when you loose a contact or your eyes simply can't stand wearing contacts any more. (maybe this is more important for the legally blind..)
posted by unmake at 9:34 AM on April 14, 2006

« Older Use a regular expression to parse a directory tree   |   Looking for parody of popular Chinese Philosophy Newer »