Looking for some glass bowls
January 13, 2022 2:12 PM   Subscribe

Some of my mother's glass bowls have been broken recently (not by her, she'd be quick to add). She's looking to purchase some replacements. They are 14cm in diameter. Must be available for purchase in Canada.
posted by sardonyx to Home & Garden (11 answers total)

This bowl looks similar. You can look for "Arcoroc Fleur bowl."
posted by plant or animal at 3:49 PM on January 13 [1 favorite]

Cheaper!
posted by plant or animal at 3:53 PM on January 13

Response by poster: I can't imagine fitting 32oz into her bowls. They're only 5cm high. I'd probably class them as fruit nappies or desert bowls. But, I think, we're heading in the right direction.
posted by sardonyx at 5:03 PM on January 13

There's a bunch on Etsy, and this one ships from Canada. Looks closer to the right size?
posted by hydra77 at 5:11 PM on January 13

Response by poster: They're close, but I don't think they're actually Fleur. The pattern looks a bit different, but mainly the shape of the bowls is different. The ones being suggested seem pretty straight up and down. My mom's have a pretty noticeable flare.
posted by sardonyx at 5:22 PM on January 13

I swear they gave these away at gas stations in the 80s and 90s because we had a ton. Hit up a value village.
posted by St. Peepsburg at 6:44 PM on January 13

They are certainly Arcoroc. I'm sure I saw them at Sears way back when i worked in housewares. Maybe check antique malls and flea markets.
posted by Enid Lareg at 9:28 PM on January 13

The more plain Arcoroc pieces I grew up with had “Arcoroc” stamped somewhere in the base. Is that typically the case for the floral-patterned Arcoroc pieces like Fleur? If so, the presence or absence of that on the pieces in question might help narrow down whether it is indeed Arcoroc.
posted by needs more cowbell at 4:33 AM on January 14

I think it's actually a salad plate, not a bowl (not a Canadian listing but as an example: Ebay listing)
posted by brilliantine at 5:26 AM on January 14

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m25670180909/ ? I'm guessing they'd ship to Canada if you were willing to pay for it.

They're not _identical_ but pretty darned close: https://imgur.com/a/le5QzKE
posted by jferg at 5:29 AM on January 14

Response by poster: I think jferg has found the right pattern and bowl style. I have no idea what it would cost to ship across the border. Plus, knowing my mom, I'm sure she's looking for new (or new old stock). But I will certainly show her the link.

I should add hers either either completely unmarked or stamped with Indonesia. No Arcoroc name at all.
posted by sardonyx at 10:43 AM on January 14

« Older How many meetings is a "normal" amount?   |   Ways to get PCR test for a resistant child other... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments