Identify this plant.

Help me identify this succulent.

I have been raising this plant for about a year now and I was wondering what exactly it is. It is beginning to collapse under its own weght and I would like to know how best to care for it.
posted by ozomatli to Home & Garden (15 answers total)

Looks to be a happy plump jade plant. A google for the term comes up with lots of care tips; here's a site to get you started.
posted by luftmensch at 4:00 PM on April 8, 2006

It doesn't seem to be the same color or leaf thickness as a Jade plant. Is this because it is young? I just didn't think it looked like any jade plant I had ever seen before.
posted by ozomatli at 4:07 PM on April 8, 2006

It's not a jade plant.
posted by 517 at 4:20 PM on April 8, 2006

It looks like it might actually be a hanging plant, similar to a burro's tail.
posted by Buzz at 4:22 PM on April 8, 2006

It is so a jade plant.
posted by salvia at 4:45 PM on April 8, 2006

I think it's a jade plant which has been overwatered.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 4:46 PM on April 8, 2006

Sorry, didn't read all the comments. Yeah, ozomatli, I think it's because it's young.

I'm pretty confident because about 4 months ago, I took a shoot growing off one of those big ones, like in the wikipedia image luftmensch's links to. I planted it in a pot, and soon it looked exactly like yours. Then, I screwed up repotting it somehow, and it started to look more woody, more like its parent and the wikipedia image.
posted by salvia at 4:48 PM on April 8, 2006

"luftmensch links to"
posted by salvia at 4:50 PM on April 8, 2006

Very good, Buzz! I think you are right: Sedum morganianum (Burito?) is the plant in question! Thanks a bunch, now I am not so concerned about the drooping, it's 'sposed to!

*Rushes off to buy hanging pot.*
posted by ozomatli at 5:03 PM on April 8, 2006

Yikes! In the first shot, your just-barely-visible ghost image in the window freaks me out a little.
posted by Ian A.T. at 5:15 PM on April 8, 2006

Sedum or Hylotelephium, but I'm not convinced it's S. morganium- the nodes are too far apart and the leaf tips are not pointed enough.
posted by oneirodynia at 5:31 PM on April 8, 2006

I'm guessing that the pot it's in now is smaller that it appears to be in the pictures, and that's partly why the plant looks so much like a jade.

They can be a nightmare to repot, especially when they've grown longer, because they are so fragile. If you do knock any of the juicy bits off, you can leave them sitting in the dirt and they should develop into little clusters, then eventually grow long themselves. It looks like yours has a couple of branches starting to grow near its base, but you might want to consider getting a few new shoots started now, so that in another year or two they will spill over other parts of the pot and help keep it balanced when it's hanging.
posted by Buzz at 7:45 PM on April 8, 2006

I have one of these. oneirodynia is right, it's distinctly not burro's tail sedum (S. morganianum), which I have also grown. I've tentatively identified mine as Pachyphytum, either oviferum or amethystinum. Mine (and yours too apparently) isn't getting as much sun as it'd like so it's too leggy and therefore floppy and isn't as strongly glaucous (bluish-white dusty cast to the leaves). Mine's in an East window, which is as bright as I can provide, but it'd prefer as much sun as possible, like blazing scorching desert sun.

The family Crassulaceae is huge and confusing (a small sample) so mis-identification is easy.
posted by TimeFactor at 8:06 PM on April 8, 2006

wow, I just discovered my vast ignorance on a whole group of plants i'd always thought were called "jade plants." sorry for the earlier overconfidence!

*goes to identify what her own plant actually is*
posted by salvia at 8:31 PM on April 8, 2006

I've got your back if the AskMe Militia shows up to punish us for ruining everything with incorrect answers. I think TimeFactor is probably right.
posted by Buzz at 1:34 AM on April 9, 2006

« Older Quotation help needed.   |   Vegetable garden pest questions. Newer »