ebay search filtering

I'd like to find a more effective way to filter out results that are (generally speaking) cheap generic goods with stock photos from overseas manufacturers/wholesalers on ebay. I do not want to exclude the "new with tags" items that are often closeouts/etc from known brands. Increasingly, these items are listed as being located in the US, so using the US only filter doesn't work. Is there a better way? A browser extension is fine.
posted by needs more cowbell to Shopping (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: As an example - I'm looking for inexpensive duvet covers, and I want to filter out results like this. Nothing against that particular seller or item, but I'd rather see a mix of closeouts from stores (I've bought a lot of inexpensive brand new Threshold/Target brand sheet sets on ebay that seemed to be closeouts, for example) + people's individual used/opened and unused items from brands I've heard of or can google than this unknown random manufacturer.
posted by needs more cowbell at 9:38 AM on November 28, 2021

Would filtering for "auction only" work? I feel your pain, and I'm a little unnerved to hear that the "US only" filter doesn't always screen them out.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 9:51 AM on November 28, 2021 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Would filtering for "auction only" work?

"auction only" does seem to help, but overall I'd way rather do "buy it now" and many of the sellers I DO want to see don't offer auctions either, so it's not ideal.
posted by needs more cowbell at 10:00 AM on November 28, 2021

I have the the Fakespot plugin and it immediately warned me of "Seller Caution" for that listing. I have no idea what it's criteria is for a suspicious seller, but it might be worth installing and testing against known good listings?
posted by cgg at 10:36 AM on November 28, 2021 [1 favorite]

The example you posted has a Supplier Rating with 98.7% positive feedback which is terrible.

Good Ebay sellers will have a rating of 99.8% or better, so the ideal would be to search or filter by that Supplier Rating, unfortunately Ebay don't allow you to do that, the only way is to check every listing manually.
posted by Lanark at 10:51 AM on November 28, 2021 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: To redirect, I am specifically looking to filter out the sorts of items I described (cheap generic goods being sold by people who have a bunch of them to sell) rather than looking for advice about whether any given seller is trustworthy.
posted by needs more cowbell at 10:55 AM on November 28, 2021

Filtering by "accepts offers" eliminates a lot of the drop-shippers while still letting you use "Buy It Now" (you don't have to make an offer, even).
posted by mskyle at 11:12 AM on November 28, 2021 [3 favorites]

I have had this problem for ages, and I have tried every combination of search features. Nothing is foolproof. I think sellers like that actually rely on that fact. We may just have to spend time sifting through! Watching this question with great interest.
posted by nukacherry at 4:08 PM on November 28, 2021 [2 favorites]

Mod note: A couple deleted. As a quick note, let's please not become bogged down in a seller-rating back and forth convo. Assume OP understands that low-ish ratings could indicate a seller with the sort of items they don't want, but the illustrative example was really *just* about the items, and there are plenty of sellers with high ratings selling the same items, so a search by seller ratings (if even possible) is not going to eliminate or usefully curb the sorts of results OP is trying to avoid. Thank you!
posted by taz (staff) at 1:50 AM on November 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

This is a really clunky workaround, but ebay search is super+ boolean good, so if you're finding that the baddies tend to use any words or especially strings of words that stand out, you can -(word) and -("string of words") the crap out of them in your search and eliminate them. So if I was looking for queen duvet covers and didn't want to find that particular one and its copies, I would search for queen duvet covers -("3pcs Comforter") and that would eliminate all of those. And you can add all the other repeating spammers in the -( each one separated by a comma, ) string as well.
posted by Mchelly at 2:29 PM on November 29, 2021 [2 favorites]

« Older I'm searching for braided cable 3.5mm earbuds. . .   |   My Aeron chair is borked. Now what? Newer »