best messaging app for private conversations
November 24, 2021 12:48 PM   Subscribe

What app should I use for private chatting/pics/links with my partner? We both have iphones and like the native messaging app, but want a segregated app that can be locked so kids using our phones won't stumble upon a private message.

We'd like something full-featured (emojis, reaction buttons, tc.) but I don't want anything run by Facebook or any of its subsidiaries. Something that would be usable on other devices as well would be a plus (especially apple watch), but not as important.
posted by skewed to Technology (5 answers total)

Signal?
posted by nathaole at 12:54 PM on November 24 [10 favorites]

To elaborate on Signal for Android, you can set it to lock access with the screen unlock or fingerprint, but it doesn't seem you can choose. If your kids know your unlock pin or pattern, then they'll be able to unlock Signal too.
posted by knapah at 1:13 PM on November 24 [1 favorite]

Signal or Threema
posted by kbuxton at 2:03 PM on November 24

Telegram can do this - you can set a passcode lock that is independent of your screen lock, and can even have 'secret' conversations, though I don't know what that means, apart from end-to-end encryption.
posted by Acari at 2:04 PM on November 24 [1 favorite]

« Older Native-american respectful family activity for...   |   Interior Lighting Design Theory Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments