Plus size compression stockings

I'm trying out compression socks for my nighttime leg cramps. Are there any in plus size that aren't virtually impossible to put on?

I'm just borderline plus size in general, but I have large calves. I tried Zeta brand, and putting them on is ridiculous (yes I know how). Even just getting them on my feet is hard and painful.

Previous Ask had many recommendations for Sockwell, but they don't specify plus size and I'm afraid they won't fit. I'm looking for something that goes up to my knees.
posted by FencingGal to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I have a serious problem putting on my socks. For years I relied on my partner to help. Then I got a device that solved my problem.

The device is a U-shaped padded wire frame. I drape the sock over it, and pull the sock inside out. Then I step into it, and pull the device up by its handles. The sock goes on with nary a wrinkle. I believe you can find other versions here
Sorry about the long URL.
posted by mule98J at 6:37 AM on November 22

I liked this brand, and their 5x goes up to 27 inches. I always find compression socks to be hard to put on too, but these were a little less awful than others I've tried. They also have ones with less compression, which would presumably be easier to put on, though I don't have direct experience with them.
posted by little king trashmouth at 7:00 AM on November 22

I had pretty good luck with these and these although purchased for plane travel (back in the day!) and not overnights.
posted by nkknkk at 7:10 AM on November 22

I am plus size with larger calves and have had good luck with these from Costco. They are not super strong though which helps with getting them on and off. I've worn compression socks for years and as my doctor explained to me when I complained about how much of a pain they are to get on and off, if they're not somewhat hard to put on they're just socks. I found that pairs that clearly stated they were graduated compression fitted my calves easier as they are designed to be looser at the top. I have tried the Lish ones linked above and they fitted but the material was cheaper and they would get a hard line at the ankle I wasn't a fan of how they felt, though they did the job perfectly well.
posted by wwax at 9:12 AM on November 22

I buy my compression gear from bright life direct. Better selection and easier to sort through than amazon. They have a section specifically for plus size compression socks.

I can't speak for socks, but I love the Juzo brand compression tights and arm sleeves and fingerless gloves, so that might be worth checking out for socks.

You might try the open toed version. You can buy a little slippy that makes it easier to get them on (basically, put your foot in the slippy, then put open toed sock on, then slide slippy out through the toe.

By definition, good compression clothing will be a challenge to get on. I started out with 20-30 mmhg, then moved up to 30-40 mmhg. Although you can find even lower than that. I use mine to help with blood pooling when I stand. I'm not sure if it's different for sleeping.

But I can definitely vouch for brightlifedirect being a reputable site that seems to have better selection than Amazon.

Also, you do tend to get what you pay for with this kind of compression gear. I have drawers filled with cheaper compression clothing and braces. Some of this can be spendy, but in my experience, it's worth it.
posted by litera scripta manet at 2:54 PM on November 22 [1 favorite]

Try compression socks for men, they're wider. You can also get fitted for them at specific pharmacies and "we sell mobility stuff for old people" stores.
posted by DarlingBri at 3:30 PM on November 22

Seconding toeless compression socks from BrightLife Direct. This was years ago so who knows if they've changed, but I recall their customer service being very helpful.
posted by Majorita at 4:47 PM on November 22

I don't have specific brand recommendations, but have technique: I thought compression socks were absolutely impossible until I learned to not pay attention to directions, and instead learned "the trick". The trick is to peel back/invert the part above the ankle, over the foot part, in one layer, do not roll it. Then put the foot part on your foot. Then it is easier to pull up the above-the-ankle part back over your foot and up your leg. My sock instructions said to roll them... which creates a donut of iron which is IMPOSSIBLE to force your foot into. Also, some compression socks seem to have a rating scale for how much compression force they have, and if you are having issues with the maximum-compression ones, maybe back up a notch to get a slightly looser one.
posted by molasses at 4:19 PM on November 23

« Older Where to get professional resume help?   |   What's the best automatic pet kibble feeder for... Newer »