How to phone sex?

I’m a woman living in the UK and am considering earning a little extra money as a phone sex operator. How do I get started?

I think I’m temperamentally well-equipped to do this: I’m sexually curious, a non-judgemental listener and have been told I have a sexy voice. I’ve had loads of phone sex over the years for my own enjoyment with partners and on free phone chat lines - I’ve also worked in customer service for a long time and think I can combine and monetise those two skill sets. I realise professional phone sex work will be different to the recreational phone sex I’ve had and that it will probably put me off men for a while. I can live with that.

If you have recently done phone sex work in the UK, do you have any advice?

• What companies in the UK should I be looking at? Who pays decent money and is the best to work for?
• I have ADHD and am bad at thinking about money, taxes etc. I already have a 9-5 job, so this would be a supplemental job for which I would presumably have to sort out my own tax and national insurance. How the hell do I go about doing that?
• What are the best resources for learning about the phone sex profession as it stands in 2021?

AskMefi has had some previous questions (and great answers) about phone sex work, but the posts are from a while ago and were US-centric.

Thanks for your help! If you would like to answer in confidence, please contact me at AskMefiThrowaway@Protonmail.com
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

You might find Aella’s guide to camgirling useful. Not totally the same as phone sex but I imagine there’s some overlap.

As for taxes, depends on how you’re paid - I guess you’d be a sole trader so would need to file a tax return by the January after the end of the tax year to declare your income. That’s probably easier than the alternative - starting a limited company and having it be paid, and then paying yourself a dividend or a salary.
posted by osmond_nash at 6:12 AM on November 21

I poked around Reddit and found this.

There's also r/sexworkers if you have more specific questions.
posted by foxjacket at 8:43 AM on November 21

Because my brain retains all kinds of crap and I like to browse ask (and for no other reason, I swear), I have a vague memory of someone providing a really good answer to this. Which I found here.

I also found this thread with another PS worker's input.
posted by suetanvil at 9:34 AM on November 21 [1 favorite]

(Aside: It occurs to me that the 'no other reasons' bit in my previous post could be interpreted as implying that phone sex work is in some way shameful. That was not my intent; sex work is real work. I was going for a joke playing on the "I only read it for the articles" trope and didn't really think it through well enough before hitting post.)
posted by suetanvil at 9:58 AM on November 21 [8 favorites]

My sister has been a part time PSO since 2014. She lives in the U.S. but the platforms she uses are international - DM me and I'll send links to the two main ones where she makes the most money.

There are also several PSOs on twitter who sell classes on how to earn $, file taxes, etc. Amberly Rothfield is probably the most well known and she sells a book about it.
posted by CancerSucks at 10:08 AM on November 21 [3 favorites]

Re the tax and NI question - if you earn more than £1,000 from the additional work during a year, you'd need to register as self-employed and complete a self-assessment tax return. Details are here. Deadline for paying any additional tax due is the end of January the year after the financial year (so if you started working now and earned more than £1,000 before the start of the new year in April 2022, you would have to pay the tax due by end January 2023). The actual process is straightforward, but I will say, as someone who also has ADHD and has struggled with tax returns - don't underestimate how stressful you might find this, and, if you can, plan for how you will enable yourself to complete them.
posted by paduasoy at 2:18 PM on November 21 [1 favorite]

The best place for phone sex is Niteflirt. I know some ladies from the UK who work for NF. You won't just be making money from phone calls but also via chat and tributes. I am a findomme and often times "drain guys" out of their money on NF using their chat/text service.

On NF you have to bid to get placement and be seen by new customers as a beginner and you get to set your own rates. It can be slow at the beginning but eventually you will build up a regular customer base. Also get Amberly PSO's book on how to become a phone sex operator. It has lots of great tips that helped me when I was starting out.

There is an active thread here on Stripperweb with great tips for new PSO's.
https://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?186291-The-Niteflirt-Thread
posted by GoddessLila at 3:18 AM on December 6

« Older Who gets the Thanksgiving invite   |   Home Reno: now or later Newer »