Where can I find the Chinese beer Anchor Red Crown?

Here is a picture of the Chinese beer that I'm looking for in Ohio, Anchor Red Crown. How/where can I find this?
posted by maxexam to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

Only 20 people have ever checked this in on Untappd, and from what I can tell, all the ones with locations turned on have been in Asia (possibly all in China, but I didn't look that closely). I don't think you're going to find it in Ohio.
posted by bowbeacon at 10:50 AM on November 18 [1 favorite]

Call the biggest Chinese market in your area and see if they have it or will order you a few cases? Mine has a handful of Chinese beers but I don't think I've seen that one, though I do know they are open to special orders if they can get it.

I'm also not so confident that people buying beer from Asian grocers are definitely logging all their beers on an app.
posted by SaltySalticid at 11:07 AM on November 18 [3 favorites]

Give Jungle Jim's a call maybe? They've got a pretty decent selection of international beers.
posted by jabes at 11:40 AM on November 18

It's made by the same folks as Tiger beer (Heineken Asia Pacific), so if you can find someone who sells Tiger it might be possible for them to get Anchor Red Crown as well.

But it's also entirely possible that it's not exported to the US at all and you won't be able to buy it. And in fact wikipedia says (emphasis mine):
As of 2014 there are several unique Anchor Beer types available only in Hainan. These include: Anchor Red Crown 4.4% (similar in taste and branding to Anchor Smooth), Anchor Lite 4.0%, Anchor ‘Classic’ 4.0%, Anchor Ice 4.0% and Anchor 97 4.0%.
posted by mskyle at 11:53 AM on November 18 [3 favorites]

Find out who the local beer wholesalers are in your area and call them directly. If that beer is imported into America, one of them will almost certainly be buying something else from the importing company, if not this specific item. But they might be able to get it for you. If it IS sold in Ohio, they'll know who they're selling it to and can advise you where to get it.
posted by something something at 12:55 PM on November 18

According to Beer Advocate, Red Crown is no longer brewed.
posted by parmanparman at 3:37 AM on November 19 [3 favorites]

« Older Can I use a weather balloon to improve cellular...   |   "Human Thought is So Toxic ... You Have to Be... Newer »