Where can I get a variety of densities of microphone case-style foam?

Are there particular search terms that will get me to where I can buy a bunch of different kinds of foam?

I've started experimenting with cutting up microphone case foam (the foam that the mics are nestled in in their cases, not the foam that goes on the mics) and placing a strip of it under the guitar strings near the bridge of the guitar to change the sound. The two different densities of foam that I've tried so far have had different effects. Ideally, I'd like to have, I dunno, a range of 5 or 6 different densities, from just a little bit of muting, to a very muted, staccato sound. Is there somewhere that offers a bunch of different foams that I can sample?

Secondary question: Are there other materials as well that you all have figured out work well as an acoustic guitar mute/sound changer?
posted by umbĂș to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

"Egg crate foam" or "eggshell foam" would probably be the most helpful search terms.
posted by mandolin conspiracy at 9:32 PM on October 22, 2021

It might be worth asking foam suppliers if they will send samples of acoustic or other foams to you.
posted by calgirl at 10:35 PM on October 22, 2021

Best answer: This is a very common kind of mute for electric basses. Go to the hardware store and get a few different kinds of weatherstripping. You can also use a sponge, felt, pipe cleaners, the list goes on and on. You don't need anything expensive.

Examples: Original foam on a 1963 Precision bass, another TalkBass thread about weatherstripping, other DIY materials, more examples (both Carol Kaye's felt method, and others).
posted by xil at 10:54 PM on October 22, 2021 [4 favorites]

Best answer: Hi the foam you are looking for is called High Density Polyethylene or HDPE foam. You want to find a supplier that lists the weight in pounds - the heavier weight the firmer and more dense the foam will be.

One source

https://www.foambymail.com/PE2-_1/polyethylene-foam-sheets-2-2lb.html
posted by sol at 7:22 AM on October 23, 2021

« Older Be bop a re bop rhubarb costume   |   Questions about Indeed salary estimates Newer »