Ceramic Mug with Lid
October 17, 2021 8:14 PM   Subscribe

I would like several mugs that are the general shape of travel mugs (ie can fit easily in a cup holder) that can be run through the dishwasher and have lids. They don’t need to hold temperature any better than a regular mug and the lid only needs to keep liquid from splashing out while I traverse uneven terrain, nothing is getting thrown in a purse here. I have hopes of buying from an artist instead of a corporation. Do you follow any potters who make something like this? I’ll also take suggestions for non-artist made, as ultimately this is a niche that must be filled in my life. Many thanks!
posted by Bottlecap to Shopping (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

For the machine made variety - back when I went to work, I had a rotation of ceramic tall mugs made by Ello. Only some of the designs (eg the Ogden) fit into cup holders. The lids are plastic, tho.
posted by janell at 8:22 PM on October 17, 2021

Best answer: This one, maybe?
posted by pinochiette at 8:30 PM on October 17, 2021 [4 favorites]

These are produced by an Australian company but look appropriate for your needs.
posted by pipstar at 5:47 AM on October 18, 2021 [3 favorites]

2nding ello brand travel mugs. they usually have a pretty good selection at target if you want to see them in person
posted by wowenthusiast at 8:17 AM on October 18, 2021

My local TJ Maxx and Marshall's both have a selection of ceramic cups with silicone lids that are the exact size/shape of a standard to-go cup, just made out of ceramic/silicone, and they're less than ten bucks a pop.
posted by zibra at 8:48 AM on October 18, 2021

Calamityware by Don Moyer has a great ceramic travel mug!
posted by feistycakes at 12:57 PM on October 18, 2021 [1 favorite]

This isn't ceramic (it's made of old coffee grounds!) but is dishwasher safe, meets your criteria, and is rather interesting/cool:
https://www.kaffeeform.com/en/shop/

Note - when I bought one a couple years ago lid was sold separately (a few euro more I believe).
posted by unid41 at 1:18 PM on October 18, 2021

Nthing Ello, I bought two different models and love them dearly. They meet all of your requirements and can hold a truly vast amount of coffee.
posted by lioness at 1:25 PM on October 18, 2021

Here’s a good looking candidate from a company that showcases Native American artists.

https://eighthgeneration.com/products/orca-double-wall-ceramic-tumbler?utm_content=Facebook_UA&utm_source=facebook&variant=39538809438254
posted by bq at 6:40 PM on October 18, 2021 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: I went ahead and got a mug from Etsy. I am actually replacing an Eighth Generation mug that didn’t stand up to the dishwasher. I love it, but I don’t have spare capacity for handwashing, unfortunately.
posted by Bottlecap at 12:14 PM on October 19, 2021 [1 favorite]

« Older Can I repair the zipper on my rolling suitcase?   |   Looking for Nikki Giovanni about thanking a friend... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments