Where to get help for gluten-free, dairy-free diet in Salt Lake City?

We’re moving from Santa Cruz to Salt Lake City, and it’s a culture shock. I’m used to a year-round farmers market with fresh produce. When I look for nutrition help in Salt Lake, I’m finding places that put you on a vitamin regimen.
posted by amartin to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Hey! I live here and the culture shock when I moved from Seattle was real. There's actually a ton of great food and farmers markets here. In the summer, the downtown farmers market is excellent. The Backyard Urban Garden Farms is great if you want to buy shares and you can always sign up for a CSA box delivery too. There's a lot of ghost kitchens that operate out of SLC too. If you message me some stuff you're looking for I can put together a list.
posted by coldbabyshrimp at 9:26 PM on September 22, 2021 [1 favorite]

Rawtopia is excellent .
posted by hortense at 11:24 PM on September 22, 2021 [1 favorite]

It might be a good idea to specify what kind of help you want. Are you looking for food sources, restaurants, a good dietitian, like-minded folks?

I'm planning on moving to SLC and I'm vegan, so I googled "plant-based support" and found a group that looks really cool. Googling gluten-free support, I also got some hits, including gluten-free support groups. This dairy-free site has a guide to restaurants and shops in Utah.

My daughter lives in the area and gets eggs from a local farmer. If you MeMail me, I can try to get that info for you.
posted by FencingGal at 6:07 AM on September 23, 2021

Response by poster: Thank you for some great answers!
The Backyard Urban Garden Farms looks awesome!
The Dairy-free Site is an incredible, comprehensive resource.

The main things I'm looking for are gluten-free and dairy-free support groups and where to buy fresh produce and gluten-free and dairy-free products. I like to do most of my own cooking.

We are near the end of the farmers market season, and I'd like to find out which are most worth visiting. Do you see the same farms at all the different farmers markets? I'm used to having my favorites in California, and looking at the lists of farmers markets in the Salt Lake area is overwhelming. Do any particular farms or markets stand out? Any special products? Any hints for best places for produce in the off season?

It's great to find such a responsive, helpful group!
Regards,
Ann
posted by amartin at 10:12 AM on September 24, 2021

In Salt Lake City, the farmer's markets close by the end of October. Sorry, but no way around that. You can find them here:
https://www.utahfarmersmarketnetwork.org/find-a-farmers-market

https://www.slcfarmersmarket.org/

There are "natural foods" stores, but some are more natural than others. There's Sprouts, Natural Grocers, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Good Earth Natural Foods, and Shirlyn's Natural Foods (which is just a vitamin store). Some have "wellness consultants" with rudimentary hit-and-miss training.

Many personal chefs are fully trained in special diets like yours. You might get help on where to shop from them. Andrea Sprague, theholisticchef.com, moved from San Francisco to Salt Lake and even offers help in how to shop, so you might give her a call.
posted by technoglyph at 10:56 AM on September 24, 2021

Response by poster: Hey, I want to follow up on coldbabyshrimp's answer with more questions for everyone. Particularly the response "There's a lot of ghost kitchens that operate out of SLC too. "
I never heard of a ghost kitchen - what is that exactly? I called a friend who makes the world's best baklava - he rents a commercial kitchen and sells at farmers markets and to coffee shops. He said it's an underhanded operation that pretends to be a known restaurant with a delivery phone #. (His example was they could claim to be Benihana delivery; you call to order and they deliver but really have no affiliation with Benihana) I started researching it and went down a rabbit hole. It looks like some restaurants dumped their dine-in location during the pandemic and now do delivery just using a ghost kitchen where you have no idea where they actually cook.
So if they are "ghost kitchens" how do you find them to order from them? Does this help me in finding a place that will deliver fresh quality gluten-free meals to my family?
I used a personal chef for a while in California. That worked pretty well in that I could trust quality and be sure were gluten-free. Do ghost kitchens do that?
I googled "gluten-free meal delivery salt lake city" and I get Uber Eats, GrubHub, Yelp, and also sites that list places to order (like top 8 Paleo delivery restaurants). Plus I get listings of known restaurants that deliver. Some seem to be personal chefs. Some I have no idea what they are - are these actually ghost kitchens?
Sorry for dumping. I just want to keep it simple and it's easy to get lost in a new area...
I was trying to focus on ingredients and support groups, but meal delivery is something I'll use sometimes...
posted by amartin at 11:33 AM on September 24, 2021

There's actually a winter farmers market that starts in November downtown too, so you won't be without. I find the ghost kitchens on Instagram, they've definitely popped up more and more since covid hit. Ghost kitchens are typically smaller operations that operate out of shared industrial cooking spaces. Mad Dough is a good example. They started selling doughnuts on IG and delivered on a couple days, then they started operating out of a kitchen, and now they have a solid location. Same with drupefruit, they sell shrubs out of the farmers market now but started on IG as well.

I'll compile a list this weekend, plus my favorite places to shop or get take out from. I'm not gluten free but I'll do my best.
posted by coldbabyshrimp at 10:51 AM on September 25, 2021

« Older How should we be shuffling these cards?   |   Nordic Noir-Style Mysteries in Non-Urban Settings Newer »