Sisterhood of the traveling knee surgery

I'm getting on an airplane and flying to another city for knee surgery. Have you done this yourself? If so, any pro tips or recommendations that I might not think of?

I'm traveling to another city for knee surgery. I've never done this before (knee surgery, yes; a 6-hour flight to and fro for knee surgery, no). I will have my sister with me as I start the 2-week 5-days-a-week PT that starts the day after surgery. I will not be weight bearing on that leg for a few weeks even after I come home.

I have first class tickets for the flight back so I am not getting jostled. I am trying to consider things like, how will I manage luggage while on crutches, etc.

Do you have experience with things like this? If so, what could I be forgetting or what is super important about traveling for this kind of thing that wouldn't be an issue at home?
posted by executive_dysfuncti0n to Health & Fitness (4 answers total)

Be sure to contact the airline and request a wheelchair to get you to and from the gates, and also get a porter with a cart to deal with the luggage. The porter can wrestle your bags off the baggage carousel and take them to the curb for you.
posted by serendipityrules at 4:32 PM on September 16, 2021 [6 favorites]

Two years ago I flew with my wife (to a square dance convention in Philadelphia, from the SF Bay Area, she didn't dance that week...) a few weeks after she got a partial knee replacement. As serendipityrules says, contact the airline, get the wheelchair accommodations, carry the right-sized cash to tip the wheelchair folks, they are awesome.

We sprung for first class to make sure that she had room for her leg, and carried a blow-up beach ball to have more options for foot rests and foot adjustments.

She had me to carry additional luggage and whatnot, though I believe the wheelchair folks were also happy to assist with wrangling baggage.

I don't know if you're staying in that other city, but know that medical supply places will both happily rent wheelchairs, and pick up and drop off from hotels (Philadelphia, you know I ended up pushing her up the ramps to the Philadelphia Art Museum a couple of times).
posted by straw at 4:43 PM on September 16, 2021 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Consider:
- airport assistance
- rolling luggage and bags with trolley sleeves (or a bag bungee) that your sister can manage when outside the airport
- wearing a jacket or vest with multiple pockets (instead of a handbag) or
- using a crossbody bag or waist bag (instead of a shoulder bag)
- perfecting your shoelace game
- crutch fit ahead of time
- laundry access on the road, to pack lighter (while preserving options to change clothes more often than usual b/c of physical therapy, surgical dressing, etc.)
- exploring comfortable masks for travel and your p/t sessions now
- on (delayed) preview -- yes, medical equipment rental, and you may be able to reserve wheelchairs or scooters around the city, should you have the opportunity to sightsee a bit during the two weeks.

Sometimes hotel rooms are advertised as disability-accessible but aren't ADA compliant (see: tub seats). Make sure your lodgings meet your post-surgical needs, like easy elevator access, a bath shower stall with rails/shower bench room (or possibly a bathtub with a ledge and a shower-handset), maybe a mini-fridge/freezer. P/T 5x/week will make you sweaty, and multiple daily showers with a fatigued, post-surgery knee are a drag-- wet wipes, body wipes, and dry shampoo can tide you over.

Check with your doctor re: appropriateness of any post-surgery lounge/overnight cushion support. Inflatable cushions. Pack supplies for unfamiliar sleep positions: head/neck support pillows, nasal strips, maybe an eye mask. Earplugs and a travel white noise machine (or app) are useful in general.

Your doctor, physical therapist, or their facilities might maintain resources (travel checklists, lists with accessible lodging, preferred drugstores/surgical supply stores, equipment rental) for patients in your situation.

You have a terrific sister, btw! Since you won't know your energy levels until you're actually in recovery, I think she needs a solo sightseeing list for your possible nap downtime. Best wishes for an easy surgery and swift recovery.
posted by Iris Gambol at 7:26 PM on September 16, 2021 [3 favorites]

You could also ship your luggage home.
posted by oceano at 9:14 PM on September 16, 2021

« Older Searching for a short story about identical twins...   |   You must have gone to a Catholic school! Newer »