But is it *actually* an MBA.?

Has anyone had any experience with the Quantic MBA program? And does the credential ‘count’ outside the US?

There seem to be two distinct camps when you search about this program on the web - one that says it is a garbage degree mill with a degree that counts for nothing, and one that says anyone who says bad things is just sore they didn’t get in to the program. I have started on the free materials they have and it seems really simple for an MBA program, but I also get that a lot of this is proving what you know rather than learning new stuff (and I am sure statistics and finance will be more daunting for me when I do it).

The fact that it doesn’t cost a fortune and advertises on social media do make it seem possibly shady, but it doesn’t mean it *definitely* is.

I am also a little bit confused about it being a recognised credential - it seems a lot of the posts on the internet about this are out of date, talking about when it was part of the stupidly-named Smartly Institute. Not being a ‘big name’ business school like Wharton is not an issue, but if someone gets a qualification from this place would it be correct to claim they ‘have’ an MBA?

TLDR - if someone passed this program and got the certification, would it be right for them to include MBA in their credentials/post-nominals?
posted by Megami to Education (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I suspect your real question is not so much "can" you put the MBA on your resume, but rather, if you put it on your resume, how much value would your prospective employer attach to it? I think they only thing you can do is ask them directly. Ask people who are hiring how much an MBA influences their decision and how much the choice of school makes a difference. It all depends what field you're in: in the context of the work I do, either you do an MBA that is in the top 100 globally, or you don't bother at all and save the time and money instead.

There are three major MBA accrediting agencies - AACSB (United States), AMBA (United Kingdom) and EQUIS (European Union). Only about 1% of business schools worldwide are accredited with all three, but even that doesn't guarantee a top spot: of the only two business schools in Australia to regularly rank in the top 100 worldwide, only the one at UNSW is triple accredited, the one at MBS only has AACSB and EQUIS. I picked one of the two, total fees coming to roughly $80,000.

Quantic MBA does not seem to be accredited with either of those 3. They are accredited with DEAC which only does accreditation for distance learning degrees in the US, so it seems like a totally different market with which I'm not too familiar... so you could probably take my entire with a pinch of salt.

Certifications exist to verify that students required X number of hours of study to pass, or that the standards of admittance is high enough, and it's not just a degree mill, like, as you say, could just accept anyone and print degrees for all of them.
posted by xdvesper at 4:34 AM on September 12 [2 favorites]

Make sure you've read the consumer disclosure, even though it's pretty thin.

To me it suggests that many people are paying for this using tuition reimbursement at their current job, to enable them to move up.
posted by snuffleupagus at 7:07 AM on September 12 [1 favorite]

Probably. But whether it's actually worth the time, effort and money might be a different question. I understand that a good chunk of the value in an MBA programme is in the cohort you study with and your ability to network with them.
posted by plonkee at 1:27 PM on September 12 [1 favorite]

« Older it's another book recommendations question   |   How do you organize your recipes? Newer »