Can I graft stonefruit scions onto an old, non-producing rootstock?

I have a big peach tree that has stopped producing fruit (around 15 years old). It's still a healthy, vigorous tree, so I was wondering if it's realistic to graft scions onto it and expect to get fruit from those grafts. Does the scion care how old the rootstock is?
posted by crookedgrin to Home & Garden (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: Also, any tips on when and where to get stonefruit scions would be greatly appreciated.
posted by crookedgrin at 8:07 AM on August 23, 2021

Interesting question! I think you should be ok but I'll also be interested to see what others with more experience say.

As for acquisition: where in the world are you? In my experience orchard/grafting enthusiasts are pretty happy to share and swap cuttings, maybe ask around at your local farmers market, also check out the local Nextdoor/Facebook groups if applicable.
posted by SaltySalticid at 9:44 AM on August 23, 2021 [1 favorite]

Peach trees tend to be short-lived. You'd be better off planting a young one -- they do grow and bear quickly!
posted by Agave at 11:17 AM on August 23, 2021

I don't have a specific answer for you, but there's a local group here in PA, Backyard Fruit Growers that would be an excellent resource. They have sources for purchasing and trading scions.

posted by pilibeen at 12:07 PM on August 23, 2021

« Older Buying a used car on a 'budget' in 2021   |   Software and services for tracking news and... Newer »