How long should I roast a 2.8lb "blade roast" for?

I bought a roast today, but I realize I've never made a classic roast before. How long should I roast a 2.8lb "blade roast" for?

I'd also like to make gravy with the drippings, but I don't want to roast potatoes or carrots inside the roaster with the roast. I just want the roast itself! What shall I do? (Also, if you have any good tips for seasoning the roast, please share! Am I supposed to add water while the roast is in the oven?

I don't love rare roasts, either, so medium to medium-well is what I'm aiming for.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't own a Dutch oven, just metal roasters.
posted by VirginiaPlain to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: Actually, upon second thought, I'm too lazy to make mashed potatoes tomorrow to go along with the roast. I'll put the potatoes in with the roast! How does this change roasting? Can I do both and still have gravy?
posted by VirginiaPlain at 6:14 PM on August 8, 2021

It's a great roast. I generally rec 25 mins at 425 then turn down to 350 for like 22-25 minutes per pound. Use a thermometer to check the final temp.

Adding par boiled potatoes to the second stage would be great but you want hey great drippings for gravy. But I don't think you'll need it.
posted by JPD at 6:40 PM on August 8, 2021

You’ll want something soak up juice in the roasting pan so the drippings don’t burn. Mirepoix is great for this; 2:1:1 onion/carrot/celery roughly chopped (1” pieces or so). You can do something like half red or Yukon potatoes and half mirepoix and pull the potatoes out to a separate sheet tray before the deglaze step below. The potatoes won’t need as long in the oven.

Season meat with salt and pepper, more than you think. Remember, it’s for the inside too. If you want to get finicky, I like 1% of the weight of meat in salt, 4.5 grams per pound (I know, mixing units), but you can go as low as 0.7% if you don’t like salt as much as I do.

I like the reverse sear with big roasts; 250°F until about 5° below your desired temp, probably about 120-125°. This will take a long time, like a half hour per pound at least; you should budget an hour per pound before dinner, but you can basically pause the whole operation after the initial roasting and leave the whole thing on the counter for hours. Once done, or once you’re a half hour from eating, take the roast out and deglaze the pan with chicken stock and/or wine, and move the veg and stock to a saucepan and bring to a simmer for maybe 10 minutes along with a couple bay leaves and mixed fresh herbs; I like thyme here.

Gravy: Make roux (1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp flour per pint of stock/drippings liquid, cooked to golden brown) and then strain stock/drippings and add, whisking. Cook to thicken (a little thinner than you want to serve it). Salt and pepper to taste (after reducing!)

While stock is simmering, crank the oven as high as it’ll go, at least 500°, convection if you have it. It should only take about 10 minutes to brown the outside of the roast (and reheat the whole thing if you let it rest)
posted by supercres at 8:26 PM on August 8, 2021 [3 favorites]

Are you sure it’s a blade roast?

These are usually chuck and have a large piece of connective tissue which makes them difficult to use a dry roasting method on.

Most frequently these are braised for this reason. Braising also tends to bring the temp up to past around 180 which is where connective tissue tends to break down

If you’re going to dry roast it I’d go low and slow at 250 until it’s up to a temp that’s to your liking. This is essentially what barbecue does with similar cuts with large amounts of connective tissue by bringing them up to a temp
high enough to get the connective tissue to break down. I’d probably start it unwrapped and once it develops a crust wrap it in foil to maintain some moisture until it’s done.

Slight side note. I sous vide these cuts for 36 hours at 135 and they turn out tender - it’s a cool technique but not sure it’s what your looking for here.
posted by bitdamaged at 9:24 PM on August 8, 2021 [4 favorites]

Response by poster: Yes, it's a blade roast.
posted by VirginiaPlain at 9:29 PM on August 8, 2021

I was a big meat guesser for years, sure that some day I would catch the magic and be a doneness-whisperer from then on. It never worked, but since I lowered myself to buying a $15 digital meat thermometer I've never looked back.
posted by rhizome at 9:34 PM on August 8, 2021 [4 favorites]

You want roast potatoes - chop them with big flat sides (1in or bigger pieces, no one will judge the size) boil them, rattle them around in the pan to make the edges a bit fluffy, and then roast in a flat pan with lots of oil, turning a couple of times, for about 45 minutes (but note they sometimes seem to want longer than that, so get them in early and warm them back up for the last ten minutes while the meat rests if they're done early). You'll get a better result if the watery part of the meat juice doesn't get near them but you can do them on a different tray in the same oven.

Only thing is that they probably want a higher temp - 350 and up - so mash is still a good option if you're going low and slow.

If you're feeling particularly active I also recommend Yorkshire puddings.
posted by How much is that froggie in the window at 10:54 PM on August 8, 2021 [1 favorite]

If the meat is giving off a lot of liquid, lift it and add a rack. A roast with a lot of connective tissue can be roasted longer at lower heat. My grocery adds cooking instructions that are a useful guide.
Gravy: Make a roux with equal parts of flour and butter(olive oil), sauteed till golden and crumbly. Let the roast sit on a plate while you de-glaze the pan with wine(or port) and water, and a spoonful of beef Better-Than-Bouillon. Whisk well to get all the tasty bits. Remove excess beef fat, saving for future roast potatoes or Yorkshire puddings. Add the liquid, whisking a lot, to the roux, over a low burner. It will thicken in 3 - 5 minutes. If too thin, add a little corn starch. Strain. Gravy from a roast is so delicious.

I have used peeled carrots under a roast when I don't have a rack. The gravy will be much sweeter and the carrots will be eaten by the cook in the kitchen because they will be fabulous.

https://www.seriouseats.com/food-lab-yorkshire-pudding-popover-best-method-science are an excellent suggestion.

Did you make the roast? How was it?
posted by theora55 at 12:55 PM on August 9, 2021

« Older Looking for psychiatric/neuroscientific...   |   Find me this 80s leftist coloring book? Newer »