Accessing Apple computer from my PC?

Trying to find out a way to access my Dad's imac (in Florida), from my PC (in Maryland).

I'm sure there's a simple solution, but this is new to me. My elderly dad has an Apple (iMac I5, OS Big Sur version 11.5), with internet access via cable company. Even though he is pretty computer savvy (he's a former radar engineer), I often am called upon to be his tech support. And at these times, it's difficult to talk him through things over the phone. It would be much easier for me to "remote access" his computer, but I have no clue how to set this up. I have a Dell PC (Alienware 15, Windows 10 Pro), and my internet is through Xfinity/Comcast.

I've looked into this a bit, and found something that might work, called TightVNC. What other options are available? Anything else I need to know? Thanks!
posted by ObscureReferenceMan to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

TeamViewer was literally made for this.
posted by Alterscape at 12:52 PM on July 29, 2021 [4 favorites]

Anydesk

I use this to manage both parents computers remotely. It can be installed to load upon startup so all they need to do is make sure the computer is on. Works for both Mac and PC.
posted by rsclark at 12:54 PM on July 29, 2021

TeamViewer, LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc. are all easy to install and use, and are cross-platform.
posted by briank at 1:01 PM on July 29, 2021 [3 favorites]

Zoom and other web-conferencing software also allows remote control. The user needs to share their screen then grant control to others.
posted by meowzilla at 1:44 PM on July 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

Definitely TeamViewer. You can use it a decent amount before they want to get paid—I suspect that occasional tech support would be under that.
posted by tchemgrrl at 3:05 PM on July 29, 2021

Anydesk. It's free.

TeamViewer blows after a short trial. Starts limiting sessions to 5 minutes etc.
posted by rmmcclay at 6:13 PM on July 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! Got some homework to do.
posted by ObscureReferenceMan at 6:47 PM on July 29, 2021

Whatever you do, set up as much security as you can within the application (on both ends, if necessary). Remote access is a double-edged sword. It's so very convenient for situations like this but if you're not doing as much as you can to secure it, it's so very convenient for others to log into your Dad's computer, too.
posted by TimHare at 9:09 PM on July 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

Chrome remote desktop is also good!
posted by spielzebub at 1:28 AM on July 30, 2021

« Older Random Amazon packages - should I do anything?   |   Talking to doctors Newer »