Best practices for sharing a home with COVID-positive family?

Posting for a friend whose spouse was just diagnosed as COVID-positive: "I'm trying to find a resource that basically says, "Oh, someone in the house is vaccinated but has COVID. Here's what they need to do (LIST) and here's what everyone else [all vaccinated] needs to do to stay safe (LIST)." This news has thrown her for a loop, and helpful, current, accurate information would be appreciated.
posted by MonkeyToes to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I don't have a list, but wanted to note that Delta is so much more transmissible than the original virus that older advice may no longer apply. In Australia, there's been nearly 100% transmission inside households, at least in one report I saw earlier.
posted by pinochiette at 12:20 PM on July 28, 2021 [8 favorites]

From the CDC, Caring for Someone Sick at Home: "If you are caring for someone with COVID-19 at home or in a non-healthcare setting, follow this advice to protect yourself and others."

As of right now, the article was last updated on July 2, 2021. It may not be fully relevant to delta variant concerns, but I would expect that link to be updated soon, especially as CDC has been coming out with new directions about the variant(s).
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 12:34 PM on July 28, 2021 [2 favorites]

When my son's college kicked him out for having COVID, I followed that CDC advice. He got better and we stayed healthy, so it's pretty solid for sample size=1.

(The college's only advice -- in New England, in February -- was "roll down the windows on the drive home, and wear a mask." Which, you know, kind of guaranteed a sore throat just from an hour of freezing wind in the car, but whatevs, they were rid of him.)
posted by wenestvedt at 1:16 PM on July 28, 2021 [1 favorite]

Confine them to their own room, separate bathroom, separate kitchen or food brought to room. Stay apart as much as possible. Mask up. Keep windows open as much as you can for ventilation.
posted by knapah at 2:38 PM on July 28, 2021 [3 favorites]

Just to cover all bases, and to state the very obvious: if the care-taking spouse has *not* been vaccinated, and assuming the vaccine is available in their area, now would be an excellent time to do it ASAP, even taking into account the ramp-up period.

If they have been vaccinated, then continue to use masks and avoid shared air.
posted by dum spiro spero at 3:47 PM on July 28, 2021 [1 favorite]

I asked a similar question.
posted by Spokane at 5:56 PM on July 28, 2021

Given how contagious this new variant is, I’d suggest she assume she has it and not leave the house. Stock up on groceries, comfort items, etc.

She shouldn’t hang out with the spouse, but she might already have it.
posted by bluedaisy at 12:17 AM on July 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

I disagree. The spouse may have already contracted the virus and be infectious even if they're not having symptoms. They should be isolating too. The last place they should be going is a building full of unvaccinated people! Getting the vaccine now will offer very little protection, it takes 2-3 weeks to for the vaccine to reach maximum effect.

The CDC list pretty much covers it. The delta variant may be more transmissible but its not like the current list leaves out precautions you could be taking. Keep your distance, ventilate and sanitize and everyone in the house should quarentine. Don't share a bed, don't eat with the infected person and don't touch their dirty dishes with your bare hands.
posted by missmagenta at 8:28 AM on July 29, 2021 [1 favorite]

« Older Artsy Boutique Dress Brand Experts Needed   |   What is a flare? Newer »