Pixel 3a doesn't see my USB-C flash drive

I plug it (Lexar 64Gb) in to my PC and it shows up fine. I plug it into my Pixel 3a.... and ?. I checked under "Storage" and it only shows the internal storage for the phone not the external drive. What am I missing?
posted by storybored to Technology (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Response by poster: Also, just tried connecting the Pixel directly via a USB cable to a PC, but that connection too doesn't seem to work. The PC does not "see" the Pixel.

However, using the same cable I can charge the Pixel with no problem.
posted by storybored at 9:53 AM on July 28, 2021

Did you got to Settings>Connected devices>USB and change the USB setting? Mine makes me manually to that when I transfer stuff from my PC with a USB cable.
posted by klugarsh at 10:09 AM on July 28, 2021 [3 favorites]

Response by poster: AHA! Thanks klugarsh, I took that hint and ran with it. Turns out I don't even get the manual prompt so I had to do...

This:

Tap build number 7 times to enable Developer Options. (wtf!? God)

Then go to Settings app > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Default USB configuration > File Transfer. Select data transfer.

Reboot the device after making the changes in the Settings.
posted by storybored at 10:19 AM on July 28, 2021 [4 favorites]

just tried connecting the Pixel directly via a USB cable to a PC, but that connection too doesn't seem to work. The PC does not "see" the Pixel.

Most common cause for a USB device that works when plugged in directly, doesn't work when plugged in via a cable, but does charge via that same cable is the cable being a charge-only type that doesn't inlcude any USB data wires.

That will probably not be what's going on with a USB-C device, especially one with as many other potential failure modes as a phone, but it's amazing how often this trips people up with memory sticks, card readers etc.
posted by flabdablet at 6:13 PM on July 28, 2021 [1 favorite]

« Older Dogsat for a friend, did not go well. Thoughts on...   |   Artsy Boutique Dress Brand Experts Needed Newer »