Why is the Olympic Rings logo different this year?

Why did the Tokyo organizers get rid of red, green, blue, black, and yellow? In every display of the 5 interlocked Olympic rings I've seen on Eurosport, all 5 are white.
posted by Homer42 to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (9 answers total)

I haven’t watched it on Eurosport, so I’m not clear if you’re talking about the channel’s usage of the logo in on-screen graphics or the logo at events in Tokyo that you’ve watched on the channel… but the official website uses the usual coloured rings.
posted by fabius at 5:02 AM on July 25, 2021 [1 favorite]

I'm not sure what you're referring to either, the logo I've seen has colored rings. But maybe there's something referencing the Tokyo games in '64 which did have mono colored rings in its logo.
posted by phunniemee at 5:07 AM on July 25, 2021 [1 favorite]

I don't think there's any requirement to use the colored rings logo. Even the International Olympic Committee has white rings in the footer section of their website. And here are the brand guidelines (PDF), which don't seem to have been updated since 2016. Single-color rings are OK.

Edit: Tokyo 2020 guidlines
posted by emelenjr at 5:14 AM on July 25, 2021

Watching BBC coverage here and all the rings are white or silver.
posted by DarlingBri at 6:19 AM on July 25, 2021

It could just be a graphic design choice. Putting multi-colored rings on any background other than a Professional White Background™ would likely mean that at least one ring ends up being pretty low-contrast relative to the background. In fact, in the IOC brand guidelines linked by emelenjr, it's noted that the background color must be white if they're multi-colored. So if the media outlet wants to use a different background color for their visual brand, they're stuck with the white rings instead.
posted by Johnny Assay at 7:27 AM on July 25, 2021 [8 favorites]

I only watched a few minutes at the start of some BBC coverage but in the BBC’s on screen graphics I saw:

* Coloured rings on a white background
* White rings on a dark grey background
* White rings on a blue background
* Coloured rings on a dark background (behind the presenter; the black ring was almost invisible)
* Neon pink rings on a black background
* White rings on a red background

And in clips from events, on the physical signage I saw:

* White rings on a black background
* White rings on a blue background
* Coloured rings on a white background
* White rings on a red/pink background

And the ”Team GB” logo includes the rings in colour on a white background.

FWIW, when the Olympics were in London in 2012 there was plenty of usage of white rings on coloured backgrounds (like bright pink), so this kind of usage isn’t a new thing .
posted by fabius at 8:17 AM on July 25, 2021 [2 favorites]

And remember those opening ceremonies, where British Industry symbolically cast and forged one of the rings, which was then joined by four others? They weren't all different colors.
posted by Rash at 9:45 AM on July 25, 2021

Best answer: Yeah, this has been standard for as long as I can remember: multi-coloured rings on white backgrounds, white rings on coloured backgrounds. (For example, here's a clip from 1992.) And there are far more coloured backdrops in venues than white ones.
posted by holgate at 9:45 AM on July 25, 2021

Response by poster: Now I understand. I finally saw rings on a white background. They were multi-colored. Until today, all the rings I saw were white on a colored background.
posted by Homer42 at 10:15 AM on July 25, 2021 [2 favorites]

« Older My body doesn't seem to remember vaccines??   |   Sudden, odd network slowdowns Newer »