automatic gmail archiving

GmailFilter: I am having a hard time keeping my gmail inbox down to manageable numbers. I want to do something very specific. Is it possible to set gmail to automatically archive all read messages? That way my inbox stays clear and I don't have to remember to constantly click the archive button after reading a message.
posted by billtron to Computers & Internet (5 answers total)

Best answer: this will get you started

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/gmail/hack-attack-become-a-gmail-master-161399.php
posted by skrike at 8:32 AM on April 3, 2006

How do you return to your inbox from reading a letter if you _don't_ click on 'Archive'?

There are also 'check all read' toggles that will only select the items you've perused and you can archive them all at once.
posted by unixrat at 9:05 AM on April 3, 2006

Click on "Inbox."
posted by arco at 9:47 AM on April 3, 2006

I click 'y' to archive the read message and move on to the next inbox msg.
posted by cairnish at 9:54 AM on April 3, 2006

if you don't want to archive, hit 'g' then 'i' to get to the inbox from a message
posted by lbergstr at 10:27 AM on April 3, 2006

« Older Help an Australian escape for good!   |   Open water swimming in Atlanta area? Newer »