Sending documents to SSA - return envelope?
May 12, 2021 6:41 PM   Subscribe

I changed my name - yay! I need a new Social Security card - boo. I'll be sending them my passport and a birth certificate. Do I need to include a stamped return envelope?
posted by ChodenKal to Law & Government (3 answers total)
Best answer: No. They would say so on the form. Towards the end of the SS-5 form it says "your documents will be returned to you" and if they wanted a stamp, they would ask for one.

If you go in person, they just look at your documents, make a copy, and hand them back to you right there.
posted by blnkfrnk at 7:01 PM on May 12

Response by poster: Thanks, blnkfrnk!
posted by ChodenKal at 7:28 PM on May 12 [1 favorite]

I don't think Social Security offices are open yet. source My impression from talking with them a few months ago was that they were not picking up mail or documents left in their drop boxes, so you may want to call them before sending your passport.
posted by still_wears_a_hat at 4:16 PM on May 13

« Older Can an old Android be used as just a phone?   |   Man Plans, and God Laughs Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments