Strange transaction from Google Cable/Rad Support

Looking at my recent bank statement, I received a refund from this merchant: GOOGLE*CABLE TV OR RAD SUPPORT.GOOGLCA. I've never heard of this entity before and a google search was not productive. I presume 'CA' stands for California and not Canada, but I could be wrong.

I tried contacting Google but they could not give me additional information. I would dispute the transaction, but it is a refund, not a charge. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I am concerned that this is some type of fraud scheme.
posted by kinoeye to Grab Bag (6 answers total)

Do you have YouTube TV or any other service from Google?
posted by deezil at 10:56 AM on May 7

Best answer: The formatting of the Merchant ID ("GOOGLE*theirname" then contact for Google) suggests it's a third-party billing through Google Pay or similar merchant service. Do you have a Google Pay account linked to that bank/card account? It does sound fraud-y like someone is probing to find out if people have a linked wallet or not, or are trying to add stolen credit card info to a new fake account to try and spend from it, and the refund is just an overture to see it if goes through. I would contact your bank or card issuer and let them know the transaction is unexpected and see what they say. They may change your card number as a standard precaution, though, so consider that you might end up needing to update any automatic bills etc. even if it turns out to be nothing.
posted by CyberSlug Labs at 10:58 AM on May 7

Best answer: When Google Hangouts closed, Google issued a refund for any credits still in the account. I got a few bucks back last month, the refund showed up as coming from "GOOGLE *SERVICES g.co/helppay#".

Is it possible you had a balance in Hangouts, Google TV or some other recently retired product?
posted by Gortuk at 11:02 AM on May 7

If you have Google Fiber, they used to bundle Fiber with TV. They've since moved the service to Youtube TV, IIRC. So this may be a refund from that.
posted by kschang at 11:30 AM on May 7

Best answer: Google made me put $10 on my hangouts account to be allowed to call landlines with VOIP 3 years ago, even though it never charged for the calls, and that $10 was returned to me just the other day!
posted by euphoria066 at 1:26 PM on May 7 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: Mystery solved -- I was notified that I would receive a refund from Google hangouts sometime back. Thank you everyone! Looks like my account wasn't compromised after all.
posted by kinoeye at 7:06 PM on May 7 [2 favorites]

« Older How much Kaopectate do I give my dog?   |   Grading a group project when one group member... Newer »