Rubber and/or silicon spatula and/or spoonula?

My best spatulas have been Rubbermaid flat spatulas. Used for scraping dough or getting the last bit of mayo. Should I be using Silicon? Spoonulas? They will be also used for getting the last of the beans off the plate.
posted by theora55 to Food & Drink (15 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

My favorite spatulas for getting beans off a plate are completely silicone, unlike the kind with a separate rubbery head and wooden handle, where the gaps seem to collect stuff and the head comes off after a while. I haven’t tried the specific ones I linked to, but mine look similar.
posted by music for skeletons at 8:17 AM on May 4 [5 favorites]

I bought a Supoon and Mini Supoon at Christmastime and they've been super useful.
posted by JoeZydeco at 8:48 AM on May 4 [2 favorites]

I love GIR but they are expensive and often sold out.
posted by matildaben at 9:09 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

I have all the ones in the set music for skeletons linked and they all have a purpose and they don't accrue nastiness like old spatulas. Each one of them scratches a set of itches better than any single tool could. None of the solid-silicone spatulas feel quite as perfectly agile as my beloved older Rubbermaids that are beginning to disintegrate, but the trade-offs are good.
posted by Lyn Never at 9:11 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

Seconding the supoon, it's taken over from a couple other tools, I should pickup another one for my kitchen. Sauteing/cooking is what I mostly use it for.

My mini supoon doesn't get nearly as much use, it's a little too small to do much except for tiny containers and the scoop doesn't really have much volume, I kinda wish they had an in-between size for more normal jars. I'm not sure it has its advantages over a similar size all silicone mini spatula.
posted by TheAdamist at 9:24 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

I will use GIR spatulas forever. I backed their original Kickstarter in 2013 and still have my first set from that campaign. My favorites are the Ultimate and the Mini. They're heat-safe up to almost 500 degrees and extremely durable. I bake and cook all the time and honestly, I even bring them on vacation or other places I'm cooking on-site because I hate cooking without them. Their Spoonula might be a good fit for you too, kind of a mix of the Supoon mentioned above and a regular silicone spatula. It's great for getting every last bit of food out of a pot or pan.
posted by rachaelfaith at 9:26 AM on May 4 [4 favorites]

those GIR look a cut above. never used one, but seems very nice.

i impulse bought this silicone (at a bbb, i think).

I'm happy i did. the very edges are nice and floppy for contoured surfaces. a small bit of pressure engages the stiffer inside for tougher stuff.

sturdy, too. last one I'll need.
posted by j_curiouser at 9:58 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

the "Spectacula" (haha, I did NOT realize that was it's name, how silly) that came with my blendtec blender is just a pinnacle of spatula engineering! They also make one with a flat tip but both the ones I have have that angle and it's great. I've had them for..5 years and haven't had to replace one at all, but if I need to, I will! I put them in the dishwasher, and at this point you can pull the head off the handle if you try, but even though the glue has gone it's not a problem.
posted by euphoria066 at 10:51 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

I'm also a devotee of all-one-piece silicone spatulas. Anything with a separate handle or a seam where two different materials meet is rejected by me. They come apart and get gross and end up having a much shorter useful life. I don't have a GIR, but I've bought multipack sets with different sizes and they meet all my needs for cooking as well as mixing and getting last bits of something out.
posted by quince at 11:40 AM on May 4 [2 favorites]

My in-laws got us some silicone cooking tools from Sur La Table as a wedding gift. I assume they paid too much for it because Sur La Table, but it is fantastic. Usually I go for Oxo stuff, but my Oxo (plastic) spatulas inevitably get melty and flexy. The silicone stuff is all one piece, externally (molded around a piece of metal, I think, based on the heft) and seems impervious to heat, rigid enough to scrape with, and easy to clean. It has survived a year of my wife and I being borderline-incompetent but enthusiastic cooks with no visible degradation in appearance and performance. If ours ever wears out I will 100% pay whatever premium to replace with similar.
posted by Alterscape at 11:45 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

Can I piggyback on this ask?

I have quite a few all silicone spatulas that I am generally happy with but they are deficient in one area. For some of my cooking, I'd like the spatula to be fairly rigid in the case where I need to scrap or move around really dense foods.

So, are any of these spatulas more rigid than others?
posted by mmascolino at 11:49 AM on May 4 [1 favorite]

When I was last in the spatula market, it seemed like the best new silicone spatulas, which can stand high heat, had driven the more sensitive rubber one off the market.
posted by SemiSalt at 5:51 PM on May 4 [1 favorite]

I also love GIR. If you really like getting the last bit of things, I highly recommend their ladle -- it's a ladle that can get into corners; saves me from also getting out a rubber (or silicone) spatula.

@mmascolino This Zyliss "Does it all" silicone spatula is rigid. I use it to scrape stiff doughs out of the mixer. Sometimes a wooden spatula also works for this purpose.
posted by miscbuff at 9:21 PM on May 4 [1 favorite]

I believe so. I believe we have had some that were too floppy to be useful and got rid of them. We have rigid ones that we use all the time for cooking--sorry, but I don't see a brand name on them.
posted by polecat at 12:49 PM on May 5 [1 favorite]

I have a small GIR spoonula and a cheaper one from Amazon, plus a bigger cheap spatula and spoonula. The GIR one is fantastic and I use it multiple times a day. The cheaper small one isn’t as good but I still use it regularly. I almost never use the big ones.
(I also have a small whisk from GIR and it’s also amazing)
posted by exceptinsects at 1:36 AM on May 6 [1 favorite]

« Older I WILL Keep Getting Better, Right?   |   Is there a way to get a 1/8" switch working via... Newer »