Online shopping in Amsterdam

A good friend is going through a health scare (chemo) in Amsterdam right now and I wanted to send a care package to get them through this time.

Based on other posts, I know that soft, comfy, things are the way to go. Where can I order those things for delivery in Amsterdam (I am based in the US). Cashmere socks? Soft hoodie? Plush blanket? Would love any and all suggestions please!
posted by something_witty to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Can't speak to where to order them in Amsterdam, but go with machine-washable rather than cashmere. It pains me to say it as a natural fibers snob, but there's risk of messiness and no one will have the energy to hand-wash stuff.

Don't forget the robe, which is nice for hospital admissions or just keeping cozy during outpatient infusions.
posted by praemunire at 2:51 PM on April 30

Maybe Hema is your best bet? Ubiquitous housewares and clothing. There’s also a department store, De Bijenkorf. Check out shipping options?
posted by Lawn Beaver at 3:52 PM on April 30

I'm gonna go way off base here... I don't know what the Amsterdam health system is like, maybe this thing is provided for them free of charge. But as a U.S. based cancer-having person: hospital emesis bags are the absolute most useful thing to have around if puking is a Thing. Dunno if you want to get this up-close-and-personal with their issues, but... just a suggestion.
posted by WaywardPlane at 5:04 PM on April 30

I always preferred soft goods from V&D over Hema.
posted by knile at 6:24 PM on April 30

I would order from zalando.nl if you want to buy clothing or bol.com if you want anything else. Both have free shipping, easy returns, and websites that are pretty easy to navigate via Google Translate. Here are cashmere socks, hoodies, blankets.

Hema stuff is cute but often low-quality, and De Bijenkorf is really only worth it if you want designer-label stuff.

Regarding WaywardPlane's suggestion, the Dutch word is braakzakje (examples: 1, 2).
posted by neushoorn at 12:05 AM on May 1 [1 favorite]

« Older Cellular Picture Frames?   |   Looking for scanning program Newer »